Atwood's Machine with 3 pulleys

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving three pulleys attached to the ceiling with masses of m, 3m, and 2m respectively. The goal is to find the accelerations of these masses using net force equations and the conservation of string. The conversation also clarifies that the middle pulley is not attached to the ceiling.
atarr3

Homework Statement

There are three pulleys in this system. The leftmost pulley is attached to ceiling. It has a string running through it with a mass of m attached. The rightmost pulley is also attached to the ceiling. It has the same string running through it with a mass of 3m attached. In the middle of these two pulleys is a third pulley with a mass 2m attached. The same string from the first two pulleys runs through this pulley too. I need to find the accelerations of the three masses in terms of m

Homework Equations

Net force equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just want to make sure my net force equations are correct before I apply the conservation of string. For the mass on the left, I have [tex]\sum F=T - mg = ma_{1}[/tex] for the mass on the right I have [tex]\sum F = T - 3mg = 3ma_{3}[/tex] For the mass in the middle I have [tex]\sum F = 2T - 2mg = 2ma_{2}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Just to clarify this, the pulley in the middle is NOT attached to the ceiling.

Did you ever find an answer to this problem? Currently working on it for my current physics course and I'm struggling.

You are replying to an old post (last post Jan28-10). Does your problem look something like the attached?

Attachments

• atwood019.jpg
    atwood019.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,863
where T is the tension in the string and a_{1}, a_{2}, and a_{3} are the accelerations of the three masses respectively.

Yes, your net force equations are correct. The tension in the string will be the same for all three masses, but the masses on the right and in the middle will experience a larger force due to their greater masses. This will result in a smaller acceleration for the mass on the left compared to the other two masses. You can use these equations to solve for the accelerations and then apply the conservation of string to determine the relationship between the accelerations of the three masses in terms of m.

1. What is an Atwood's Machine with 3 pulleys?

An Atwood's Machine with 3 pulleys is a simple machine used to demonstrate the principles of mechanical advantage and the laws of motion. It consists of a rope or string passing over three pulleys, with a mass attached to each end of the rope. This setup allows for the comparison of the tension and acceleration on each side of the machine.

2. What are the main components of an Atwood's Machine with 3 pulleys?

The main components of an Atwood's Machine with 3 pulleys include three pulleys, a rope or string, and two masses of different weights. The pulleys are usually attached to a stable surface, while the masses are attached to the ends of the rope that passes over the pulleys.

3. How does an Atwood's Machine with 3 pulleys work?

An Atwood's Machine with 3 pulleys works by utilizing the principles of mechanical advantage and the laws of motion. The pulleys reduce the amount of force needed to lift the masses, increasing the mechanical advantage. The motion of the masses is determined by the difference in weight and the direction of the force applied.

4. What are the applications of an Atwood's Machine with 3 pulleys?

Atwood's Machine with 3 pulleys is commonly used in physics demonstrations and experiments to illustrate the concepts of mechanical advantage and the laws of motion. It can also be used in engineering to design and analyze pulley systems and in the study of tension and acceleration.

5. What factors affect the performance of an Atwood's Machine with 3 pulleys?

The performance of an Atwood's Machine with 3 pulleys can be affected by various factors such as the weight and mass of the objects, the friction in the pulley system, and the angle at which the rope is pulled. The length and thickness of the rope can also have an impact on the machine's performance.