1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Atwood's Machine with 3 pulleys

1. Jan 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There are three pulleys in this system. The leftmost pulley is attached to ceiling. It has a string running through it with a mass of m attached. The rightmost pulley is also attached to the ceiling. It has the same string running through it with a mass of 3m attached. In the middle of these two pulleys is a third pulley with a mass 2m attached. The same string from the first two pulleys runs through this pulley too. I need to find the accelerations of the three masses in terms of m

2. Relevant equations

Net force equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I just want to make sure my net force equations are correct before I apply the conservation of string. For the mass on the left, I have [tex]\sum F=T - mg = ma_{1}[/tex] for the mass on the right I have [tex]\sum F = T - 3mg = 3ma_{3}[/tex] For the mass in the middle I have [tex]\sum F = 2T - 2mg = 2ma_{2}[/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2010 #2
    Just to clarify this, the pulley in the middle is NOT attached to the ceiling.

4. Sep 7, 2011 #3
    Did you ever find an answer to this problem? Currently working on it for my current physics course and i'm struggling.

5. Sep 7, 2011 #4
    You are replying to an old post (last post Jan28-10). Does your problem look something like the attached?

Attached Files:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook