Automatic hydraulic jack -- choosing motor

In summary, a connecting rod would be a better method of connecting the crank to the jack arm. By selecting appropriate linkage dimensions and motor position, the motor torque could be optimised to the lifting part of the rotation cycle. A simple change to the jack handle socket would allow operation by horizontal motion rather than vertical.
TheRedDevil18
What type of motor can I use for this jack ?
3-75ed7b22a4.jpg

It's running from a 12V battery

Engineering news on Phys.org
Something with a gear reducer? I got a funny image of the pump stroking 3,600 times a minute.

If you're running off a battery then obviously a DC motor. You could use something like a digital fishing scale to determine the force required to push the handle down when the jack is under load. Working from that you could determine the minimum torque requirement for the motor. The slower the pumping rate the lower the required torque. You would also have to take into account friction of the drive mechanism, including the gear reducer. And, of course, you'd have to slot that pump rod.

That doesn't look like it'd stow conveniently in your car boot...
Why reinvent the wheel? An off the shelf electric jack is about the same size as your bottle jack and they're not too expensive, certainly cheaper than the time and money to design and build your own.

True, but we don't know why RedDevil is doing this. I'd like to know.

I just thought of something else. The pumping stroke should occur when the effective pumping arm is the longest. That reduces the peak torque required.

Consider using a second hand 12V wiper motor from a car.
It will have a reduction gear and crank as supplied.

Unless you have a telescoping arm on the jack that design wouldn't work, and you would have to manually let the jack down. a scissor jack with a reversible electric motor straight shaft input attached to the jack itself would work much better.

not sure how much you could lift or what size motor would be efficient for what ever application you are using it for but the design would give you a way to both raise and lower the jack with a flip of a switch.

gjonesy said:
Unless you have a telescoping arm on the jack that design wouldn't work, and you would have to manually let the jack down. a scissor jack with a reversible electric motor straight shaft input attached to the jack itself would work much better.

+1, w/o telescoping handle the jack or motor would need to be on a sliding mechanism. probably bad to have the jack slide back & forth ;)

Sliding mechanisms are usually quite inefficient unless they have captive linear ball races.

A connecting rod would be a better method of connecting the crank to the jack arm. By selecting appropriate linkage dimensions and motor position, the motor torque could be optimised to the lifting part of the rotation cycle. A simple change to the jack handle socket would allow operation by horizontal motion rather than vertical.

Baluncore said:
Sliding mechanisms are usually quite inefficient unless they have captive linear ball races.

A connecting rod would be a better method of connecting the crank to the jack arm. By selecting appropriate linkage dimensions and motor position, the motor torque could be optimised to the lifting part of the rotation cycle. A simple change to the jack handle socket would allow operation by horizontal motion rather than vertical.

What if I just changed the connecting rod position to something like this
IMG_20160502_114011.jpg

Would it work ?

Have a look at bell crank mechanisms .

Last edited:
3 - Copy.jpg
TheRedDevil18 said:
What if I just changed the connecting rod position to something like this
That looks like it would work, so long as the ends of the connecting rod were pins that would allow for the directional differences.

Last edited:
How are you going to lower the jack?

gjonesy said:
How are you going to lower the jack?
I expect the pressure "release valve" that is wrongly labelled as “pressure relief” valve will be cracked open slightly.

Yeah but the diagram doesn't show any automation for that. It would help to know its perpose...i have seen "jacks" rigged like this as a cheap way to make a dump bed on a pickup truck...its actually pretty cool. But it would be a pain in the kester to turn on the jack raise the bed then have to crawl under the truck to turn the pressure release just to lower the bed. Optimally i would opped for a system that both raises and lowers automatically. It really depends on the application of that jack.

Last edited:
post #10, just make sure the diameter of the crank (I should say stroke) is less than the stroke of the jack piston handle where it connects to connecting rod. you can adjust handle length to accommodate, etc.

Last edited:

1. How do I determine the appropriate motor size for an automatic hydraulic jack?

The motor size for an automatic hydraulic jack is determined by the weight of the load it will be lifting. Generally, the motor should have a capacity of at least 1.5 times the weight of the load to ensure it can handle the weight safely and efficiently.

2. What is the recommended power source for an automatic hydraulic jack?

The recommended power source for an automatic hydraulic jack is a 12-volt DC power supply. This is the standard power source for most automobiles and can also be found in many portable power banks or jump starters.

3. Can I use any type of motor for an automatic hydraulic jack?

No, only a DC motor should be used for an automatic hydraulic jack. This type of motor is designed to provide smooth and precise movement, making it ideal for lifting heavy loads. Using any other type of motor may result in damage to the jack or unsafe lifting conditions.

4. Is it necessary to have a pressure relief valve on an automatic hydraulic jack motor?

Yes, a pressure relief valve is a crucial safety feature on an automatic hydraulic jack motor. It helps regulate the pressure in the system and prevent overloading, which can lead to equipment failure or accidents.

5. What is the lifespan of an automatic hydraulic jack motor?

The lifespan of an automatic hydraulic jack motor will vary depending on the quality of the motor and how well it is maintained. On average, a good quality motor should last for several years with regular use and proper maintenance.