Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can hydraulic systems replace ebikes in power assisted cycle

1. Jul 27, 2017 #21

RonL

Gold Member

Kind of you to say it's interesting, it took me many years to finally realize the biggest flaw......as speed and resistance increase weight does not. also I'm not sure how reliable a wheel like that would be at high speed. The words the patent attorneys used sounded much better, but the patent office used a patent based on an air design to say I had nothing new and useful, (as I recall).
    PF has taught me the value of proper words and math that are a necessity in the presentation of ideas, but I'm afraid that I'm too old to make the changes needed, The brain seems less efficient every day lately.
    If the numbers I used are correct it's good up to around 10 mph on level ground, down grades or breaking allow the storage to some extent of regenerative power.
    I believe hydraulic systems offer some interesting options, especially when intertwining electric and steam systems.

2. Jul 28, 2017 #22

RonL

Gold Member

I hope my insertions of drawings and my thoughts about your question has not been interpreted as a thread hyjack in any way, I feel very strongly that the idea of weight transformed into hydraulic pressure flow has some merit. Looking forward to more interaction from others, as I feel this is a very good topic.
    Thank you for asking the question. :smile:

3. Jul 28, 2017 #23
    That's totally fine and you're welcome!

4. Aug 1, 2017 #24
    The weight to energy system with all the "might be's" and "could be's" is very close to a lot of perpetual motion proposals which have been brought up for the last 200 years. That is why it got rejected. There is no free lunch.

5. Aug 1, 2017 #25

RonL

Gold Member

These are the drawings used by the patent office when they rejected my claim....
    SCAN0086.JPG SCAN0087.JPG SCAN0088.JPG
    The intent of my drawings are to capture some amount of momentum energy, when slowing, braking, or a downward grade, with the use of hydraulic flow and storage.
    My idea originated on a trip to Florida, observing wheels, hitting puddles of water on the highway, at speed. The thought of capturing some of that energy with a fluid in an enclosed and controlled condition, along with the knowledge that I can't lift a car but I can push it, on a few occasions using a forward push of about two or three feet, I have lifted a car up onto a six inch high slab. (momentum transformed into lift)
    It is not a PM idea, but merely a method of otherwise wasted energy being captured and stored for reuse.

6. Aug 1, 2017 #26
    There is no conservation of power law. Power can be amplified as long as energy is conserved. For example, energy fed in at a steady rate can be output in shorter bursts yielding higher power. Of course, average power is the same. Power can be amplified with time just as torque can be amplified with leverage with a wrench. Neither violate energy conservation.

7. Aug 1, 2017 #27
    The concept is a good one, it just depends on the details. How much energy can be captured, stored and released at what cost? Regenerative braking used today in some electric cars seems fairly straightforward. Maybe your concept has a different application...Your lawyers should have helped you rewrite the application in a way the USPTO would understand but apparently they didn't do that.

8. Aug 1, 2017 #28
    By the way, I wanted to ask what you meant by 'weight transformed into hydraulic pressure flow'?

9. Aug 1, 2017 #29

RonL

Gold Member

That was when I was young and living like a church mouse, they did offer to continue, but I was not sure if they were trustworthy and I just did not have the funds to go further. :frown:

10. Aug 1, 2017 #30

RonL

Gold Member

If you have ever used a hydraulic jack to lift a weight, then when you release the check valve there is a weight generated pressure flow of fluid back into the reservoir.
    In the case of our discussion, momentum carries the weight of a car onto the top of the piston and then weight causes the piston to collapse in the chamber and the oil to be squeezed through the lines to the accumulator, then through a motor and back to the wheel system.

11. Aug 1, 2017 #31

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is very hard to be an inventor if you can't do the calculations and check the conservation laws, and don't have support from a helper who can do it for you.

Without that, about the only way to succeed is to build a working prototype.

12. Aug 5, 2017 #32

RonL

Gold Member

I agree for the most part, but being an inventor of things in ones mind is easy, transferring the ideas to others becomes the hard part if one does not have the proper education.
    Before this thread goes into the almost dead zone, I do want to encourage anyone in a mechanical or electrical path to look very closely at what is possible with both hydraulic and electric working together, they are almost the same in many ways.
    This might make a great senior project and in my mind has some very unique variations of what is the current norm.:smile:

13. Aug 5, 2017 #33

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Inventing things in your mind isn't inventing, it is imagining. Inventing means actually designing or creating the thing.

14. Aug 6, 2017 #34

RonL

Gold Member

I will have to respectfully disagree, the patent office has many patents, filed by inventors, which have never been built.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invention

Invention is often a creative process. An open and curious mind allows an inventor to see beyond what is known. Seeing a new possibility, connection or relationship can spark an invention. Inventive thinking frequently involves combining concepts or elements from different realms that would not normally be put together. Sometimes inventors disregard the boundaries between distinctly separate territories or fields.[citation needed] Several concepts may be considered when thinking about invention.

Re-envision[edit]
    To invent is to see anew. Inventors often envision a new idea, seeing it in their mind's eye. New ideas can arise when the conscious mind turns away from the subject or problem when the inventor's focus is on something else, or while relaxing or sleeping. A novel idea may come in a flash—a Eureka! moment. For example, after years of working to figure out the general theory of relativity, the solution came to Einstein suddenly in a dream "like a giant die making an indelible impress, a huge map of the universe outlined itself in one clear vision".[15] Inventions can also be accidental, such as in the case of polytetrafluoroethylene (Teflon).

15. Aug 6, 2017 #35
    This is great idea! But transferring the ideas to becomes real so hard.Anyone help you ?

16. Aug 6, 2017 #36

RonL

Gold Member

Not sure if this is directed at Tabaristiio or me, so I'll give my short answer.......this is basically the first time I have shown my drawings to anyone, as I had pretty well come to a conclusion the design would be far too complicated for a minimal return.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted