Average general GRE scores at Stanford

In summary: I think that Stanford's Physics profile on GradSchoolShopper.com lists their incoming class's GRE scores as:The average GRE scores for admitted students in 2014–15 were: Verbal-171, Quantitative–176; Analytical–4.42; Physics Subject–928.The Verbal-171, Quantitative-176, and Analytical-4.42 scores correspond to the 99th, 98th, and 97th percentile on the verbal, quantitative, and analytical portions respectively. Higher scores must indicate higher percentiles.
yeshuamo
Stanford's Physics profile on GradSchoolShopper.com lists their incoming class's GRE scores as:

"The average GRE scores for admitted students in 2014–15 were: Verbal-171, Quantitative–176; Analytical–4.42; Physics Subject–928."

How do we interpret these general GRE scores? Everywhere I look, general GRE is counted out of 170, and that is the scale I've used in my test prep. I'd love to shoot for their average, if only I knew what that average meant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Has the general GRE always been counted out of 170? (it's been over a decade since I've been out of graduate school, so my memory is faulty) I'm curious as to whether the quote from the OP may have been based on earlier versions of the GRE.

I agree with Stengah. I think that that is a typo.

Unless you get scores which call into question you math skills or suggest you lack basic reading comprehension and/or the ability to write a coherent sentence, physics grad schools don't really care about the general GRE, at least if you get in the mid 160s for math (which you should easily be able to do if you want to go into physics). This was even demonstrated for us at a grad school application info session by showing a scatter plot. Like the professor said, it clearly showed no correlation to acceptances beyond certain scores.

Likes yeshuamo
@radium this is great news. I'm above the ninetieth percentile for all three general sections, so what you're saying means that I can move on to working on more important things.

Yes exactly. Not that you have the general GRE out of the way, you should start studying for the PGRE (which is much more important), work on your statements for each school, and focus on the research you are doing (and courses when they start up again).

Likes yeshuamo

1. What is considered a good general GRE score at Stanford?

A good general GRE score at Stanford is typically above the 90th percentile. This means scoring in the top 10% of test takers, which translates to a score of 160 or above for verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning, and a score of 5.0 or above for analytical writing.

2. What is the average general GRE score at Stanford?

The average general GRE score at Stanford varies by program, but generally falls between 155-165 for verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning, and 4.0-5.0 for analytical writing. It is important to note that these are just averages and do not necessarily reflect the minimum score required for admission.

3. Is the general GRE required for admission to Stanford?

Yes, the general GRE is required for most graduate programs at Stanford. However, there are some exceptions, so it is important to check with the specific program you are interested in to confirm their testing requirements.

4. Can I retake the general GRE if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the general GRE if you are not satisfied with your score. However, you should keep in mind that some programs may only consider your highest score, while others may consider all of your scores. It is best to check with the program for their specific policies on multiple GRE scores.

5. How long are general GRE scores valid at Stanford?

General GRE scores are valid for 5 years at Stanford. This means that if you took the test more than 5 years ago, you will need to retake it in order to apply to a graduate program at Stanford.