Average Power Output for 260000 kg Jet at 9200m Altitude

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
spockjones20
Messages
23
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



620 seconds after starting its take-off, a 260000 kg jet reaches its cruising altitude of 9200 meters and flies with a speed of 235 m/s. Neglecting friction, what has been the average power output of the engines?

Homework Equations



ΔKE = Work
Power = Work/time

The Attempt at a Solution



Initial KE = 0
Final KE = .5*260000*235^2 = 7179250000
Power = 7179250000/620 = 11579435.48 Watts

Can someone see an issue with what I am trying to do here? I tried to type in this answer but apparently it is wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
spockjones20 said:

Homework Statement



620 seconds after starting its take-off, a 260000 kg jet reaches its cruising altitude of 9200 meters and flies with a speed of 235 m/s. Neglecting friction, what has been the average power output of the engines?

Homework Equations



ΔKE = Work
Power = Work/time

The Attempt at a Solution



Initial KE = 0
Final KE = .5*260000*235^2 = 7179250000
Power = 7179250000/620 = 11579435.48 Watts

Can someone see an issue with what I am trying to do here? I tried to type in this answer but apparently it is wrong.

I haven't checked your math, but I can see you left out the change in potential energy.
 
spockjones20 said:
Ok. Would that go into the work equation?

I believe so.

Try this: ΔKE + ΔPE = Work

and see what happens.