Average power to ZL coupling coefficent and mutual inductance M?

In summary, the circuit in Figure 4-2 has N1=2000 turns, N2=1000 turns, R=0, Z1=0 and ZL=300+j400 (Ω). With V1(max)=1500 V, the average power delivered to ZL can be calculated using the equation (1/2)I2R, where I2 is the magnitude of the polar form of 0.9-1.2i and R is the resistive part of ZL. This results in an average power of 337.5 W, making choice C the correct answer.
asdf12312

Homework Statement

2roktc7.jpg

In the circuit of Figure 4-2, let N1=2000 turns, N2=1000 turns, R=0, Z1=0 and ZL=300+j400 (Ω). If V1(max)=1500 V, what is the average power delivered to ZL?
A. 5400 W
B. 2700 W
C. 337.5 W
D. 675 W

Homework Equations

V2=(N2/N1)V1

The Attempt at a Solution

since turn factor is 2:1 then V2= (1/2)V1=750V. and I2=750/(300+j400)= 0.9-1.2i=1.5A (magnitude of polar form)

here is where i get confused. my book for some examples uses (1/2)I2R for power, however i also know the general power equation is I2R. in this case i decided to go with the book's example so to find average power to ZL I used (1/2)I2R and only used resistive part of ZL in calculating power:
1/2 (1.5)2*(300) = 337.5. so i put C as my answer.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The 1/2 comes from taking the RMS value of the given peak value. So ##I_{RMS} = I_{peak}/\sqrt{2}##, and squaring it yields a factor of (1/√2)2 = 1/2.

1. What is the average power to ZL coupling coefficient?

The average power to ZL coupling coefficient is a measure of the efficiency of power transfer between two coupled circuits. It represents the ratio of the power delivered to the load (ZL) to the total power in the coupled system. It is typically denoted by the symbol k and can range from 0 (no power transferred) to 1 (perfect power transfer).

2. How is the average power to ZL coupling coefficient calculated?

The average power to ZL coupling coefficient can be calculated using the formula k = (ZL - Z0)/(ZL + Z0), where Z0 is the characteristic impedance of the transmission line connecting the two circuits. Alternatively, it can also be determined experimentally by measuring the power at the load and the total power in the system.

3. What is mutual inductance M?

Mutual inductance M is a measure of the amount of inductive coupling between two circuits. It represents the ability of one circuit to induce a voltage in the other circuit. It is typically denoted by the symbol M and is measured in henries (H).

4. How is mutual inductance M related to the average power to ZL coupling coefficient?

The mutual inductance M is directly related to the average power to ZL coupling coefficient k. The higher the value of M, the stronger the coupling between the two circuits and the higher the value of k. This means that a higher value of M results in a more efficient transfer of power between the two circuits.

5. Can the average power to ZL coupling coefficient and mutual inductance M be adjusted?

Yes, both the average power to ZL coupling coefficient and mutual inductance M can be adjusted by changing the physical parameters of the coupled circuits, such as the distance between them, the number of turns in the inductors, and the material used for the inductors. These adjustments can be made to optimize the efficiency of power transfer between the two circuits.