Understanding the Average: Finding the Middle Number

• Thread starter adjacent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Average
In summary, the average of two numbers can be found by adding the two numbers and dividing by two. This can also be seen as finding a number that is equidistant from both numbers, and can be derived through the formula x + (y - x)/2.
adjacent
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Obviously this is not a homework question,but I put this here as this looks like one.
Lets see.
The average of something is [itex]\frac{Sum of all the numbers}{Amount of the numbers.}[/itex]
For example,1,2,3,4,5,6
The average is 3.5 which is also the middle of the sequence.
If the numbers were 1,4,8,9,11
Average is 6.6
Which is not the middle of course.
Anyway,Why does the average give the middle number?

The Attempt at a Solution

Let x and y be integers.
[itex]\frac{x+y}{2}[/itex] =Average
But I don't see the logic behind this.

Also let x and y be integers.and y is the largest number
First y-x to find the range.
So [itex]\frac{y-x}{2}[/itex] gives the middle number between y and x range
So we add the middle number to the x to get the middle number between y and x.
Rearranging,this is same as the average formula.
So is there another way of logicing(1) this?
P.S(1) Couln't think of another word

Physics news on Phys.org
adjacent said:
No. This gives you the distance between x and the middle number. To get the middle number, you need to add to the distance the starting point. Hence
$$
\frac{y-x}{2} + x = \frac{x+y}{2}
$$
which is indeed the average.

DrClaude said:
No. This gives you the distance between x and the middle number. To get the middle number, you need to add to the distance the starting point. Hence
$$
\frac{y-x}{2} + x = \frac{x+y}{2}
$$
which is indeed the average.

Read a little further and you'll see that's what he meant.

A physical interpretation I like is that the average will give you the center of mass. Take a plank of wood and distribute n equal weights amongst it. If you treat the plank of wood as a ruler (distance values from 0-100 say) and then the average of all the values that the weights are located at will be the position where the plank would balance if held up by a pivot.

adjacent said:

Homework Statement

Obviously this is not a homework question,but I put this here as this looks like one.
Lets see.
The average of something is [itex]\frac{Sum of all the numbers}{Amount of the numbers.}[/itex]
For example,1,2,3,4,5,6
Average is 6.6

Let x and y be integers.

As Dr. Claude said, this does not give the middle number.

This makes no sense. If you already have the middle number to add to the x, adding x will give you something else, not the middle number again.

I think what you are trying to say is that y- x is the distance between x and y so that [itex]\frac{x- y}{2}[/itex] is half the distance from y to x, not "the middle number". Suppose x and y were the distances from your present location to two cities, X and Y, along a straight road, X being closer than Y (x being less than y). Then [itex]\frac{y- x}{2}[/itex] would be half the distance between them.

To go from your present location to the point halfway between them you must go to X, then half way between X and Y. That is you must go distance x first, then distance (y- x)/2. That gives, as you say,
[tex]x+ \frac{y- x}{2}= \frac{2x}{2}+ \frac{y- x}{2}= \frac{2x+ y- x}{2}= \frac{x+ y}{2}[/tex]

ok ok..It's not the middle number,the distance from x to middle number.Sorry.
From the posts of all,I did not see any other way of proving that (x+y)/2 gives the middle number(or median) between them.
How was this formula derived?

How about

y - (y-x)/2

:wink:

Mentallic said:
How about

y - (y-x)/2

:wink:
That is not a proof.
That is equal to saying the proof of: X*Y gives XY: is YX
:-p

I disagree!

adjacent said:
From the posts of all,I did not see any other way of proving that (x+y)/2 gives the middle number(or median) between them.

And the only "proof" given to you so far was that it is equivalent to x+(y-x)/2, hence you're satisfied with the proof that X*Y = XY. Now I'm showing you a whole other world with X*Y = YX :biggrin:

Another idea I have is essentially given in the formula of the mean, but it might lead to some insight that you could have missed.

If we have two numbers x and y, then we're looking for a number z such that x+y = z+z.

So

x+y = z+z
x+y = 2z
(x+y)/2 = z

EDIT: I realize this didn't answer your question. So how can we show that z is in the middle of x and y? Well, all I can think of is to say that y-z = z-x must be satisfied. Given what we found z to be earlier, this equality does indeed hold, hence it's the middle number.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
adjacent said:

Homework Statement

Lets see.
For example,1,2,3,4,5,6
Average is 6.6

Let x and y be integers.

If ##x < y## (integers or not--it doesn't matter), any number ##z## between ##x## and ##y## can be written in the form
[tex] z = (1-t) x + ty, \;\; 0 \leq t \leq 1[/tex]
When ##t=0## we have ##z=x## and when ##t=1## we have ##z=y##. We can also write this as
[tex] z = x + t(y-x) [/tex]
which means that ##t## is the "fraction of the way from ##x## to ##y##" at the point ##z##. When we put ##t=1/2## we will be at the mid-point of the segment between ##x## and ##y##. Of course, we can re-write the corresponding ##z## as ##z = x + (1/2)(y-x) = (x+y)/2##.

Likes 1 person
I see.Thank you all
I will think about this further tomorrow. :)))

FAQ: Understanding the Average: Finding the Middle Number

1. What is the average?

The average is a mathematical concept that represents the central value or typical value of a set of data. It is also known as the mean and is calculated by adding all the numbers in a set and dividing by the total number of values.

2. How do you find the average?

To find the average, you need to add all the numbers in a set and then divide the sum by the total number of values. For example, if you have the numbers 4, 6, 8, and 10, you would add them together (4+6+8+10=28) and then divide by 4 (since there are 4 numbers). The average in this case would be 7.

3. What is the significance of finding the middle number?

Finding the middle number, also known as the median, is important because it gives us a more accurate representation of the data. Unlike the average, the median is not affected by extreme values, so it can give us a better understanding of what the typical value in the data set is.

4. How do you find the middle number?

To find the middle number, you first need to arrange the numbers in the data set in order from smallest to largest. If there is an odd number of values, the middle number is simply the number in the middle of the list. If there is an even number of values, the middle number is the average of the two numbers in the middle of the list.

5. In what situations is finding the average and the middle number useful?

Finding the average and the middle number can be useful in a variety of situations, such as analyzing test scores, calculating the average income of a population, or determining the median home price in a certain area. It can also be helpful in identifying outliers or extreme values in a data set.