Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average value of a function sent to infinity

1. Mar 17, 2006 #1
    I was wondering if it would be possible to find the average value of a function with the only condition that x is element of R. For example, could we say that f(x)=4 has an average value of 4 since no matter what values we give for a or b in the integral from a to b of f(x)/(b-a) (b is not equal to a of course), we will obtain an answer of 4? However, if this is true, could it be for other functions as well, perhaps more complicated or colourful? What conditions need to be satisfied?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2006 #2

benorin

Homework Helper

Recall that the average value of a function which is Riemann integrable on some interval (a,b) is given by:

[tex]f_{ave} = \frac{1}{b-a}\int_a^b f(x) dx[/tex]​

I suppose that one could define an average value of a function over all of [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] by, say

[tex]f_{ave} = \lim_{L\rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{2L}\int_{-L}^{L} f(x) dx[/tex]​

so that for f(x)=4 we would have

[tex]f_{ave} = \lim_{L\rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{2L}\int_{-L}^{L} f(x) dx = \lim_{L\rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{2L}\int_{-L}^{L} 4 \, dx = \lim_{L\rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{2L}\left[ 4x\right] _{x=-L}^{L} = \lim_{L\rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{2L}\left[ 4L-(-4L)\right] = 4[/tex]

as expected.

4. Mar 18, 2006 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But if one defines the average as

[tex]\frac{1}{3L}\int_{-2L}^Lf(x)dx[/tex]

then one should check that the answers agree, or for any other way of averaging. I imagine there will be some condition on the type of f for which this makes sense.

5. Mar 18, 2006 #4

benorin

Homework Helper

Sure, I took the Cauchy Principal Value of the limit whose upper and lower bounds approached their repective infinities seperately.

6. Mar 18, 2006 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The bounds in the CPV don't go separately: they go together in a particular way. To go separately, you'd need something like:

[tex]
    \lim_{\substack{a \rightarrow -\infty \\ b \rightarrow +\infty}}
    \frac{1}{b-a}\int_a^b f(x) dx[/tex]

In general, this really does matter. For example:

[tex]
    CPV \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \sin x \, dx = 0
    [/tex]

even though

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \sin x \, dx[/tex]

does not exist.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  7. Mar 18, 2006 #6

benorin

Homework Helper

Indeed, I took the CPV of such an integral.

8. Mar 18, 2006 #7
    Tell me a little more of how the Cauchy Principal Value theorem works for sin(x) integrated from -infinity to positive and how it gives zero. When i evaluate it, i find that it can simply range from -2 to 2. (if you please).

9. Mar 18, 2006 #8

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

please is such a nice word, isn't it?

10. Mar 18, 2006 #9

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

By definition,

[tex]
    CPV \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(x) \, dx
    = \lim_{L \rightarrow +\infty} \int_{-L}^{L} f(x) \, dx
    [/tex]

11. Mar 18, 2006 #10
    Ah, i understand now. Thanks very much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?