Average value of a function sent to infinity

In summary, if x is an element of the real numbers and f is a function which is Riemann integrable on some interval (a,b), then the average value of f over all of \mathbb{R} is given by: f_{ave} = \frac{1}{b-a}\int_a^b f(x) dx.
hypermonkey2
I was wondering if it would be possible to find the average value of a function with the only condition that x is element of R. For example, could we say that f(x)=4 has an average value of 4 since no matter what values we give for a or b in the integral from a to b of f(x)/(b-a) (b is not equal to a of course), we will obtain an answer of 4? However, if this is true, could it be for other functions as well, perhaps more complicated or colourful? What conditions need to be satisfied?

Physics news on Phys.org
Recall that the average value of a function which is Riemann integrable on some interval (a,b) is given by:

[tex]f_{ave} = \frac{1}{b-a}\int_a^b f(x) dx[/tex]​

I suppose that one could define an average value of a function over all of [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex] by, say

[tex]f_{ave} = \lim_{L\rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{2L}\int_{-L}^{L} f(x) dx[/tex]​

so that for f(x)=4 we would have

[tex]f_{ave} = \lim_{L\rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{2L}\int_{-L}^{L} f(x) dx = \lim_{L\rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{2L}\int_{-L}^{L} 4 \, dx = \lim_{L\rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{2L}\left[ 4x\right] _{x=-L}^{L} = \lim_{L\rightarrow \infty}\frac{1}{2L}\left[ 4L-(-4L)\right] = 4[/tex]

as expected.

But if one defines the average as

[tex]\frac{1}{3L}\int_{-2L}^Lf(x)dx[/tex]

then one should check that the answers agree, or for any other way of averaging. I imagine there will be some condition on the type of f for which this makes sense.

Sure, I took the Cauchy Principal Value of the limit whose upper and lower bounds approached their repective infinities seperately.

The bounds in the CPV don't go separately: they go together in a particular way. To go separately, you'd need something like:

[tex]
\lim_{\substack{a \rightarrow -\infty \\ b \rightarrow +\infty}}
\frac{1}{b-a}\int_a^b f(x) dx[/tex]

In general, this really does matter. For example:

[tex]
CPV \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \sin x \, dx = 0
[/tex]

even though

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \sin x \, dx[/tex]

does not exist.

Last edited:
Tell me a little more of how the Cauchy Principal Value theorem works for sin(x) integrated from -infinity to positive and how it gives zero. When i evaluate it, i find that it can simply range from -2 to 2. (if you please).

Last edited:
please is such a nice word, isn't it?

By definition,

[tex]
CPV \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} f(x) \, dx
= \lim_{L \rightarrow +\infty} \int_{-L}^{L} f(x) \, dx
[/tex]

Ah, i understand now. Thanks very much!

Last edited:

What does the average value of a function sent to infinity mean?

The average value of a function sent to infinity refers to the average or mean value of a mathematical function as its input approaches infinity. This value can provide insights into the overall behavior of the function and can be helpful in analyzing its properties.

How is the average value of a function sent to infinity calculated?

The average value of a function sent to infinity is typically calculated using a mathematical concept known as a limit. This involves taking the limit as the input of the function approaches infinity and calculating the average or mean value based on this limit.

What is the significance of the average value of a function sent to infinity?

The average value of a function sent to infinity can provide important information about the overall behavior of the function. It can help determine if the function is approaching a specific value or if it is increasing or decreasing without bound. This information can be useful in various fields of science and mathematics.

Can the average value of a function sent to infinity be negative?

Yes, the average value of a function sent to infinity can be negative. This can occur if the function has a negative slope or if it approaches a negative value as the input approaches infinity. It is important to consider the behavior of the function as a whole when interpreting the average value.

How does the average value of a function sent to infinity differ from the average value of a function over a finite interval?

The average value of a function sent to infinity and the average value of a function over a finite interval are calculated differently and can result in different values. The average value of a function over a finite interval involves finding the average of the function's output over a specific range of inputs, while the average value sent to infinity involves taking the limit of the function as the input approaches infinity.