Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Average Velocity from Velocity Profile

1. Apr 21, 2016 #1
    Hi
    I have velocity profiles at different lateral position of a channel. I want to calculate average velocity from velocity profile at those position. Can you suggest me any equation or literature?
    I attached here a sample datasheet also.

Attached Files:

• 1.xlsx
      1.xlsx
      File size:
      10.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2016 #2

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you just have a bunch of discrete points, why not just take the mean?

4. Apr 21, 2016 #3
    these are the discrete points at different depth so it will make logarithmic V profile so for maximum and mean which equation should I follow? Is it just mean of this discrete points?

5. Apr 21, 2016 #4

boneh3ad

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If they are evenly spaced, then the mean velocity is just the mean of the points. If they aren't evenly spaced you may need to do a weighted average.

6. Apr 21, 2016 #5

rcgldr

Homework Helper

If you can calculate a formula based on the discrete points, you could find the average velocity. This could be an issue, as you could create a high degree polynomial that would go through all the points, but that may not be an accurate representation of velocity versus position between the discrete points.

If you knew the starting time and the ending time for the discrete positions, then the average velocity would just be the change in position / change in time.

7. Apr 21, 2016 #6
    It's a measurement of ADV in laboratory flume. I have point velocity at different depth and different width of a cross section. So how can I calculate average velocity in this cross section? If you go through the attachment, it will be clear to you. Also I have the discharge value for this setup laboratory run.

8. Apr 21, 2016 #7
    I went through the attachment, and it wasn't clear to me.

9. Apr 21, 2016 #8
    Can you just tell me which part isn't clear in attachment?

10. Apr 21, 2016 #9
    I have point velocity at different depth and different lateral position in a laboratory channel cross section. And I need to calculate average velocity of that cross section and also average depth velocity at different lateral position.

11. Apr 21, 2016 #10
    What are the locations of the walls?

12. Apr 21, 2016 #11
    Left wall is at y=0 and right one is y=10

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted