1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Average velocity given acceleration and time?

1. Oct 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A car is stopped at a traffic light. It then travels along a straight road so that its distance from the light is given by x(t) = bt^2 - ct^3, where b = 2.30 m/s^2 and c = 0.120 m/s^3.

(a) Find the average velocity of the car for the time interval t=0 to t=10 s

(b) Calculate the instantaneous velocity of the car at t=0, t=5 s, and t=10 s

2. Relevant equations

Not sure...for the first one, I thought it might be simply v = x2-x1/t2-t1 but then I realized I was given acceleration rather than distance so that won't work. Will I have to use integrations?

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no idea how to start either of these, but I have a feeling I have to integrate them and I'm really confused on that concept. =\

Thanks in advance,

- Grace

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2009 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What makes you say you are given acceleration?

4. Oct 11, 2009 #3
    I said that because b and c are in m/s^2 and m/s^3, not meters...unless that doesn't matter? =\ But I see what you mean, it saying distance...

5. Oct 11, 2009 #4

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it says distance. If you look at the right side you multiply b(m/s2)*t2(s2) and you end up with meters. Same thing with c. This is dimensional analysis. I trust you know how to proceed from here.

6. Oct 13, 2009 #5
    Oh wow, I can't believe I didn't see it before. Thanks so much for your help, it makes sense now...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook