1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Avionics Programming Learning Materials?

1. Oct 17, 2015 #1

Rio Larsen

Gold Member

I'm an aspiring aerospace engineer. I know that Ada is a language used in many planes today, but I can't find anything to learn about Ada for avionics--I couldn't find books or tutorials. Do any of you guys have any recommendations on how to go about this? I'm very interested in teaching myself but I can't find any learning materials.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2015 #2

Rio Larsen

Gold Member

I can find materials on learning the Ada language, but not on how to use Ada in an airplane.

4. Oct 19, 2015 #3

donpacino

Gold Member

a LOT of code in flight critical equipment is written in C.

That being said I wouldn't worry about the language, worry about the application

5. Oct 19, 2015 #4

Rio Larsen

Gold Member

I can find tutorials on any programming language on the Internet, but basically what I'm asking for is a resource that will teach me how to program in (language) in a way that an airplane would be able to understand as well as how I would go about installing it on avionics (as well as debugging). I'm worried about how to put it on airplane avionics, not how to learn a programming language.

6. Oct 19, 2015 #5

donpacino

Gold Member

what exactly do you mean?
    are you referring to flight code for a hobbyist UAV, or flight code for a boeing 737

7. Oct 19, 2015 #6

Rio Larsen

Gold Member

Both would be nice but I'm much more concerned about a Boeing 737.

8. Oct 19, 2015 #7

donpacino

Gold Member

so the hobbyist stuff is easy. go to a website like aeroquad, download the source code, and examine it!

As far as large commercial/military aircraft, the amount of software on those thing is immense. We're talking hundreds of thousands of line of code for the entire aircraft. To be honest I'm not entirely sure where you can find resources on those. Everything i have learned is on the job.
    To start you can look up arinc 429 and AFDX, those are commonly used avionics communications protocols.
    look up do-178, which is the software verification standard that avionics software has to meet.

note: Do NOT just read through them, you'll be bored very quickly. I would recommend trying to make two systems talk through AFDX or arinic 429 (or other avionics com protocols). That would go VERY far to make you look good on a resume

I would also try to get familiar with common embedded RTOS and their uses
    look up the concept of minor and major frames

work on embedded electronics

9. Oct 19, 2015 #8

donpacino

Gold Member

in general avionics software can be considered very robust, 100% tested (and I mean 100% tested) embedded electronics software

10. Oct 20, 2015 #9

Rio Larsen

Gold Member

Hmm, so would this help? If so, how much?

11. Oct 22, 2015 #10

donpacino

Gold Member

if you want to learn embedded programming, yeah probably

quick question, and this is one that i should have asked. What is your background. Are you in high school, college? if so, whats your major

12. Oct 22, 2015 #11

Rio Larsen

Gold Member

I'm a freshman in college (14 years old). What I was trying to ask was whether or not that book would help me in any way with avionics programming.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook