1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Axler Linear Algebra What does this notation mean?

1. Jul 4, 2009 #1
    In chapter 1 of Axler's LA Done Right, he defines a polynomial as such:

"Our next example of a vector space involves polynomials. A function [itex]p:\mathbf{F}\rightarrow\mathbf{F}[/itex] is called a polynomial with coefficients in
    F ..."

Can someone translate this "[itex]p:\mathbf{F}\rightarrow\mathbf{F}[/itex]" into words? I have never seen that notation before.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2009 #2

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"p: A->B" means p is a function with domain A and codomain B. Or in other words, p takes elements from the set A and outputs members of the set B.

4. Jul 5, 2009 #3
    Thanks! How would one know that btw? That is, what subject does one learn that in?

5. Jul 5, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Normally, one learns what "F:A-> B" means in basic algebra or pre-calculus.

6. Jul 5, 2009 #5
    Normally, one uses textbooks in conjunction with an instructor, and the instructor answers such questions. I guess this board is a (slow) substitute for having an instructor...

7. Jul 5, 2009 #6
    Yeah. That's the route I am going. My maths seem to be lacking when it comes to the fundamentals. I have completed all of the math in my engineering requirement and have performed very well, but a lot of the base details seem to be missing. Not sure why. But I am reteaching myself all of the math I have learned (and more) from a more 'pure' perspective.

As a result, PF will have to deal with the onslaught of stupid questions that I usually harass my teachers with :redface:

GO PF!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook