1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B field intensity of 2 parallel wires

1. Jun 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two long parallel wires are a center-to-center distance of 4.60 cm apart and carry equal anti-parallel currents of 4.40 A. Find the magnetic field intensity at the point P which is equidistant from the wires. (R = 4.00 cm).

2. Relevant equations
    magnetic field for a long straight wire = μi/2*pi*r

3. The attempt at a solution
    at first i thought it was just 0 T since the current is in opposite directions but that was wrong. so i worked it out and saw that the y components cancel out and you're left with the 2 x directions components. so i thought B = [itex]\frac{2*μ*i*cos(theta)}{2*pi*r}[/itex]

where cos(theta) = R/r
    where r = sqrt(R2+(d/2)2)

this didnt work out for me. my answer was 7.1665340225x10^(-4) T and it said it was wrong

B= [itex]\frac{2*4*pi*10^-7*4.4*.04}{2*pi*(R^2+(d/2)^2)^(3/2)}[/itex]

anything i did wrong, plugged in wrong numbers or what?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2012 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I see two problems:

1. I don't see where the "3/2" exponent comes from in your denominator, the units do not work out properly with that exponent there.

2. It appears you made an arithmetic mistake in evaluating your expression -- I get a different number for the expression you wrote, but as I indicated I don't think the 3/2 exponent there is correct anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook