B-Field on Axis of Equilateral Triangle

In summary, a geometry problem asks for the magnetic flux density (B-field) at the axis of an equilateral triangle. The calculation is simple using the law of Biot-Savart and the distance from the triangle's centroid to the point of interest. Once the B-field is known, the angle at which it is pointing can be calculated.
peroAlex

Homework Statement

I came across a pretty interesting question that asks for magnetic flux density (B-field) on the axis of the equilateral triangle. This axis is meant to be perpendicular to triangle's surface passing through its centroid. Assuming that a triangle has sides denoted ##a## and conducts current ##I##.

Homework Equations

Law of Biot-Savart: ## dB = \frac{\mu_0 I}{4 \pi} \frac{dl \times R}{R^3} ##.
B-field of a line segment: ## B = \frac{\mu_0 I}{4 \pi \rho} (\cos(\alpha_1) - \cos{\alpha_2}) ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to compute B-field at triangle's centroid. Since ## h = \frac{a \sqrt{3}}{2} ## and distance from a side to centroid is ## \frac{h}{3} ##, I managed to derive (for one side) $$ B_1 = \frac{\mu_0 I}{4 \pi \frac{\frac{a \sqrt{3}}{2}}{3}} (\cos{30} - \cos{150}) = ... = \frac{3 \mu_0 I}{2 \pi a}$$ so for all three sides combined the result is simply three times higher value: ## B_T = 3 B_1 = \frac{9 \mu_0 I}{2 \pi a}##.

But this is where I'm stuck. I don't know how to derive for axis of triangle, but I did manage to pull out correct result which should be ## \frac{ 3 \mu_0 I a^2 }{ 8 \pi \sqrt{3z^2 + a^2} (z^2 + \frac{a^2}{12}) } ##. Can somebody please help me with this one or at least point me on the correct path?

By the way, I hope you're having a fantastic Tuesday!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's basically a geometry problem. The ## B ## field from each of the sides are equal in amplitude, but each one points at an angle ## \theta ## to the z-axis, so you need to compute the component of this in the z-direction and multiply by 3. The components perpendicular to the z axis cancel by symmetry. ## \\ ## Meanwhile the distance ## \rho=R ## in the denominator can easily be computed as well as the ## (sin(\theta_1)-sin(\theta_2) ## term. (You used ## cos(\alpha_1)-cos(\alpha_2) ## for this above). ## \\ ## Anyway, I concur with the answer that you posted=I got the algebra to work.

Likes peroAlex

1. What is the B-field on the axis of an equilateral triangle?

The B-field, or magnetic field, on the axis of an equilateral triangle is a measure of the strength and direction of the magnetic force at any point along the axis of the triangle. It is typically represented by the symbol B and is measured in units of teslas (T).

2. How is the B-field calculated on the axis of an equilateral triangle?

The B-field on the axis of an equilateral triangle can be calculated using the following equation: B = μ0I/2πr, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current flowing through the triangle, and r is the distance from the axis to the point where the B-field is being measured.

3. What factors affect the B-field on the axis of an equilateral triangle?

The B-field on the axis of an equilateral triangle is affected by the strength of the current flowing through the triangle, the distance from the axis to the point of measurement, and the angle of the triangle's sides.

4. How does the B-field vary along the axis of an equilateral triangle?

The B-field on the axis of an equilateral triangle varies depending on the distance from the axis. It follows an inverse relationship, meaning that as the distance increases, the B-field decreases. Additionally, the strength of the B-field is strongest at the center of the triangle and decreases as you move towards the sides.

5. What are some real-world applications of the B-field on the axis of an equilateral triangle?

The B-field on the axis of an equilateral triangle is used in a variety of applications, such as in magnetic levitation systems, particle accelerators, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. It is also important in understanding the behavior of magnetic materials and in studying the Earth's magnetic field.