Are B-Minuses Terrible for Grad School Applications in Physics?

• Thread starter Benzoate
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's grades in introductory physics courses and their concerns about how it will impact their chances of being accepted into graduate programs. They mention receiving B's and B-minuses in their first few years, but improved in their later years and were accepted into grad school. They also inquire about the significance of B- on a 5 and 4-point GPA scale and ask for advice on whether their grades will affect their chances of being accepted into top graduate programs, particularly in the US. The conversation also touches on the importance of grades in more advanced physics classes, such as quantum mechanics and statistical physics, and the difficulty of getting into top schools like MIT.
Benzoate
For my first 3 introductory courses(mechanics, E&M, modern) in physics, I received like B's and B-minuses. Is that terrible on a grad school application.

Physics news on Phys.org
I almost flunked a couple of my intro courses, pulled a D in my third semester. I came out OK...I wasn't turned down by all the graduate programs I applied to, actually less than half.

I got a few B-'s my first couple of years. I got into grad school. Granted, my grades my second two years were much better, including my grades in classical mechanics, E&B, quantum, and statistical mechanics. How are your grades for your last 60 or so credits? If they're good, then you should be OK.

I'm curious, but what does B- mean on a 5 pt GPA scale? How about 4 pt?

Defennnder said:
I'm curious, but what does B- mean on a 5 pt GPA scale? How about 4 pt?

At my school it corresponds to 2.7 on the 4 pt scale.

same goes with me I am also international student studying in malaysia doing bsc physics and In my first sem here are my results [based on 4.0 gpa scale]

Physics 1 - B-= 2.75
Physical and Inorganic Chemistry- B- = 2.75
Calculus- C+ = 2.5
Biology- B+ = 3.5
English for Academic Purpose- b+

My overall G.P.A was 3.00 and I was really depressed . Are these grades really terrible ? Do I need to repeats one of these subjects? If I apply grad school in U.S and in top ones will I be rejected because of my first sem? I know it is really dull question [not to mention stupid question ] but I would really be thankful and obligied if you are answer my problems .

Thank you all

I think grad school are more interested on what you got in your quantum mechanics, statistical physics, etc classes than what you got in physics 1 3 years ago.But as you know, those aren't MIT scores. As we all know the minimum to get into MIT is a Nobel Prize =/

1. Are B-Minuses considered a low grade for graduate school applications in Physics?

No, B-Minuses are not considered a low grade for graduate school applications in Physics. While a higher grade may be preferred, admissions committees also consider other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

2. Will having a B-Minus in a Physics course greatly impact my chances of getting into graduate school?

It depends on the overall strength of your application. A B-Minus in one course may not greatly impact your chances, especially if you have strong grades in other relevant courses and other impressive achievements.

3. Should I retake a course if I receive a B-Minus in it for graduate school applications in Physics?

It is not necessary to retake a course solely because of a B-Minus grade. Admissions committees are more concerned with your overall understanding and aptitude in Physics rather than one specific grade.

4. Will having a B-Minus in a non-Physics course be viewed differently than a B-Minus in a Physics course for graduate school applications?

Generally, admissions committees will place more weight on your grades in Physics courses since they are directly relevant to the field. However, a B-Minus in a non-Physics course may still be viewed positively if it shows a strong overall academic record.

5. Can I still get into a top graduate program in Physics with a B-Minus on my transcript?

Yes, it is possible to still get into a top graduate program in Physics with a B-Minus on your transcript. Admissions committees consider a variety of factors, and a strong overall application can outweigh one lower grade.