B.S. Graduate, Great Job Opportunity, Going to Grad Sc.

In summary: What do you think your response should be? In summary, you should go for the interviews, and explain that you will not be able to start work for a few years.
Jarvis323
Sorry for the confusing and ambiguous title. I had a hard time describing the topic in so few words.

I am graduating, in a few weeks, with a B.S. in Computer Science and will be off to pursue a Masters degree. Recently, multiple companies have asked me to submit a resume and come in for an interview. I'm not going to drop the Masters program, but I am wondering what my response should be.

Should I go for the interviews anyways, and send my resume, but explain that I will not be able to start work for a few years? Should I just send a message explaining that I won't be out of school for another few years. Would submitting a resume now be worthwhile? Or will I be better off just waiting until I am soon to get out of grad school?

Now that I am typing this out, the answer seams obvious, but I would appreciate any useful advice you can give me regarding the situation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Whatever you do with a potential employer, be open and honest. Before you accept the interviews tell them that you fully intend to continue with your masters degree. Do not go to interviews that have zero possibility of you accepting a job offer without telling them this important fact.

Employers have long memories. When you are done your degree you will probably want a job, maybe from one of these companies. Your name will be on a piece of paper in a filing cabinet. Make sure what is written on that paper is going to put you in a good light. And even if you go into academia, a good relationship with a company is a good thing. It can produce all kinds of lateral benefits. For example, if you have students yourself one day, they may want jobs. Or you may get contracts with that company that pay for your research as a prof, and so on.

Also, employers often have long term plans. If you fit their business plan now you likely still fit their business plan in 2 or 3 years (or however long a masters takes). You will find that they respond well to honest explanation of your plans. They may be disappointed but they will still be pleased with you and happy to contact you in the future.

But if you mess them around the bad taste will linger for a long time. We had a guy apply to the company. We offered him the job. We made plans assuming he would be there. Then we found out he had accepted a place in grad school and had already paid his tuition when he applied for the job with us. His name is now in our "do not hire" list, and we have given him several "no thank you" letters since he graduated.

That being said, there are lots of options. These options need to be checked with your university before proceeding. For example, you might be able to work part time with one of these companies. If it is work that matches your degree work you might be able to combine the two and get some credit at your university for the company work. Maybe you could expand it into a thesis, or possibly there are journal articles to be written. Having a work situation that produces academic credit and interest is a brilliant thing. Getting paid cash to do interesting work is a wonderful experience.

Basically what I am saying is, keep good relations all around. And don't close doors that do not need to be closed.

Likes Jarvis323
tAllan said:
Sorry for the confusing and ambiguous title. I had a hard time describing the topic in so few words.

I am graduating, in a few weeks, with a B.S. in Computer Science and will be off to pursue a Masters degree. Recently, multiple companies have asked me to submit a resume and come in for an interview. I'm not going to drop the Masters program, but I am wondering what my response should be.

Should I go for the interviews anyways, and send my resume, but explain that I will not be able to start work for a few years? Should I just send a message explaining that I won't be out of school for another few years. Would submitting a resume now be worthwhile? Or will I be better off just waiting until I am soon to get out of grad school?

Now that I am typing this out, the answer seams obvious, but I would appreciate any useful advice you can give me regarding the situation.

Are the job offers and the grad school in different cities? If they're not, you might get a chance to do both, which is why you should be honest with potential employers. Once, long ago in the dark ages, employers actually encouraged and helped their employees get advanced degrees while remaining on the job. IDK how it is now, which is something you'll have to inquire about.

Likes Jarvis323

1. What kind of job opportunities are available for B.S. graduates?

B.S. graduates have a wide range of job opportunities available to them, depending on their specific major and field of study. Some common job options include positions in research, engineering, healthcare, education, and technology industries. Many B.S. graduates also pursue advanced degrees in graduate school.

2. Is it necessary to go to graduate school after obtaining a B.S. degree?

No, it is not necessary to go to graduate school after obtaining a B.S. degree. Many B.S. graduates enter the workforce immediately after graduation and find success in their chosen fields. However, some career paths may require or benefit from a higher level of education, and graduate school can also provide opportunities for further specialization and advancement.

3. What are the benefits of going to graduate school after obtaining a B.S. degree?

Attending graduate school after obtaining a B.S. degree can have many benefits, including the opportunity to gain advanced knowledge and skills in a specific field, increased job prospects and earning potential, and the ability to network with professionals and researchers in your chosen field. It can also open up opportunities for leadership roles and further career advancement.

4. How long does it typically take to complete a graduate program?

The length of time it takes to complete a graduate program can vary depending on the specific program and the student's pace. On average, a master's degree can take 1-2 years to complete, while a doctoral degree can take 4-6 years. Part-time or online programs may also have longer completion times.

5. How can I prepare for graduate school while still in my undergraduate program?

There are several ways to prepare for graduate school while still in your undergraduate program. These include maintaining a strong academic record, gaining research experience, participating in internships or relevant extracurricular activities, networking with professionals in your field, and studying for and taking relevant standardized tests such as the GRE or GMAT.