Bachelor's degree background/Argentina

In summary, the conversation is about someone who has moved to Argentina and is studying for a Bachelor's degree in physics. They are struggling with adapting to university life and are retaking two courses from their first year. They are considering applying for a Master's and PhD in Canada or France and are curious about the quality of their education in Argentina. They list the courses they will be taking each year and ask for opinions on their chances of success and the difficulty of the courses compared to Europe and North America. The responder encourages them and reminds them that hard work and motivation are key to success.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Hi all,
I've moved to Argentina (I was living in France then) about 2 years ago and started university in the beginning of 2007. I'm applying for a Bachelor's degree in physics and it lasts 5 years, that is 2 years more than in most countries. I can say that I had a lot of difficulties adaptating me to the university's student life and study habits, so that I didn't do that well in the first year and I'm retaking 2 matters (physics I and algebra II) of the first year. Hopefully I'll finish the first year in december.
Sincelery I don't know the level of my faculty when it comes to its quality but I guess it's not that bad.
So my question is ... what do you think of the grade I'll get? Because I plan to apply for a master and then a doctorate (that's my dream) in Canada or France. So my background is very important to me.
Here are the matters by year :
First year :
Introduction to physics
Algebra I
Mathematical analysis I
Algebra II
Mathematical analysis II
General Physics I

Second year :
Numerical analysis
General physics II
Mathematical analysis III
Mathematical analysis IV
General physics III

Third year :
Electromagnetism I
General Physics IV
Mechanics
Electromagnetism II
Mathematical methods of physics
Modern physics I

Fourth year :
Modern physics II
Quantum mechanics I
Thermodynamics and statistical mechanics I
Speciality I
Quantum mechanics II
Thermodynamics and statistical mechanics II

Fifth year :
Speciality II
Speciality III

Ok, I must precise a lot of things, but I don't know everything about the matters.
In the first year we saw calculus I and II, linear algebra (vector spaces, matrix and so on). General physics I is Newtonian mechanics and rigid body.
I've heard that general physics II is heat, fluids and stuff like that. For general physics III : electromagnetism up till Maxwell's equations (in the last course). General physics IV is optic.
Mechanics is a formalism of general physics I and so is Electromagnetism to general physics III. And then I don't know that much. I know that in numerical analysis, along with the theoritical course we have a programing part in fortran 90.
And the last year generally lasts more than 1 year because I'll have to write a thesis-like paper. Hopefully I'll be specialized in quantum mechanics, but I can't say it with certainty today.
I guess there's too few information to conclude especially due to the fact that I've few information about what I'll be involved in.
I can add that every final exam of physics is made of a writing part (exercises), an oral part and a laboratory part and I have to get more than 4/10 in each sections otherwise I'll have to pass it again.
Also, can you tell me what would be a good average grades? I guess that more than 8/10 is a great average but extremely difficult to reach. On about 150 people who start this degree by year, only 3 will success (in average). So the degree is not given to anybody and I think that when you reach it, you really know almost all the basic stuff and more of physics.
Thanks for your time and sincerity.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which university?. Argentina has world renown universities. Remember Argentina is one of the few Latin American countries with a Nobel prize in the sciences, and it has a couple of its universities top ranked along with Mexico, Chile and Brazil in Latin America.

The most famous is Universidad de Buenos Aires.

At the Universidad Nacional de Córdoba. I think it's good in physics, but I don't know how much compared to others.
I know that the one from Buenos Aires is also very good and a university in La Plata if I remember well. There's also a good place for postgraduate studies in physics, it's called the Instituto Balseiro.
But anyway, I don't think it matters that much for undergraduate studies, I don't think there are big differences but I may be wrong. To apply for the Balseiro, one must have finished at least the first 2 years at university and from what I've heard there's a lot of laboratories.
So what do you think about the courses I'll be involved in? Is it similar to Europe and North America? Or will I have to study some more topics in order to apply for a master degree?

As long as you receive a decent undergraduate education and/or complement it with self studying you will be ok.

fluidistic said:
So what do you think about the courses I'll be involved in? Is it similar to Europe and North America? Or will I have to study some more topics in order to apply for a master degree?

I really don't know about the courses as I graduated from Civil Engineering, but I went to a Latin American university, too. Also, I applied to Grad School recently and I did receive good offers (UIUC, UW, UMN, and others). I believe all it takes regardless of where you study is hard work and motivation.

You will do great!, Good luck!

Thank you very much Cyclovenom, that's encouraging. Till now I'm satisfied by the lectures I assist and the stuff we learn.
I welcome any other thoughts.

1. What is a Bachelor's degree background?

A Bachelor's degree background refers to the academic qualifications and experiences that a student has obtained during their undergraduate studies. This can include their major/minor areas of study, coursework, research projects, internships, and extracurricular activities.

2. What is the typical length of a Bachelor's degree in Argentina?

The typical length of a Bachelor's degree in Argentina is 4 to 6 years, depending on the field of study. Some programs may require a longer duration due to additional requirements such as internships or thesis projects.

3. Are Bachelor's degrees in Argentina recognized internationally?

Yes, Bachelor's degrees obtained in Argentina are generally recognized and accepted internationally. However, it is always recommended to check with the specific country or institution of interest for their recognition policies.

4. Can I pursue a Bachelor's degree in Argentina if I am a non-Argentine citizen?

Yes, many universities in Argentina welcome international students and offer programs taught in English. However, non-Argentine citizens may need to fulfill additional requirements such as language proficiency exams and visa applications.

5. What are some popular fields of study for Bachelor's degrees in Argentina?

Some popular fields of study for Bachelor's degrees in Argentina include engineering, business, law, medicine, and social sciences. However, there are many other diverse options available such as arts, education, agriculture, and technology.