1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bachelor's degree background/Argentina

1. Oct 10, 2008 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

Hi all,
    I've moved to Argentina (I was living in France then) about 2 years ago and started university in the beginning of 2007. I'm applying for a Bachelor's degree in physics and it lasts 5 years, that is 2 years more than in most countries. I can say that I had a lot of difficulties adaptating me to the university's student life and study habits, so that I didn't do that well in the first year and I'm retaking 2 matters (physics I and algebra II) of the first year. Hopefully I'll finish the first year in december.
    Sincelery I don't know the level of my faculty when it comes to its quality but I guess it's not that bad.
    So my question is ... what do you think of the grade I'll get? Because I plan to apply for a master and then a doctorate (that's my dream) in Canada or France. So my background is very important to me.
    Here are the matters by year :
    First year :
    Introduction to physics
    Algebra I
    Mathematical analysis I
    Algebra II
    Mathematical analysis II
    General Physics I

Second year :
    Numerical analysis
    General physics II
    Mathematical analysis III
    Mathematical analysis IV
    General physics III

Third year :
    Electromagnetism I
    General Physics IV
    Mechanics
    Electromagnetism II
    Mathematical methods of physics
    Modern physics I

Fourth year :
    Modern physics II
    Quantum mechanics I
    Thermodynamics and statistical mechanics I
    Speciality I
    Quantum mechanics II
    Thermodynamics and statistical mechanics II

Fifth year :
    Speciality II
    Speciality III

Ok, I must precise a lot of things, but I don't know everything about the matters.
    In the first year we saw calculus I and II, linear algebra (vector spaces, matrix and so on). General physics I is newtonian mechanics and rigid body.
    I've heard that general physics II is heat, fluids and stuff like that. For general physics III : electromagnetism up till Maxwell's equations (in the last course). General physics IV is optic.
    Mechanics is a formalism of general physics I and so is Electromagnetism to general physics III. And then I don't know that much. I know that in numerical analysis, along with the theoritical course we have a programing part in fortran 90.
    And the last year generally lasts more than 1 year because I'll have to write a thesis-like paper. Hopefully I'll be specialized in quantum mechanics, but I can't say it with certainty today.
    I guess there's too few information to conclude especially due to the fact that I've few information about what I'll be involved in.
    I can add that every final exam of physics is made of a writing part (exercises), an oral part and a laboratory part and I have to get more than 4/10 in each sections otherwise I'll have to pass it again.
    Also, can you tell me what would be a good average grades? I guess that more than 8/10 is a great average but extremely difficult to reach. On about 150 people who start this degree by year, only 3 will success (in average). So the degree is not given to anybody and I think that when you reach it, you really know almost all the basic stuff and more of physics.
    Thanks for your time and sincerity.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2008 #2

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Which university?. Argentina has world renown universities. Remember Argentina is one of the few Latin American countries with a Nobel prize in the sciences, and it has a couple of its universities top ranked along with Mexico, Chile and Brazil in Latin America.

The most famous is Universidad de Buenos Aires.

4. Oct 10, 2008 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

At the Universidad Nacional de Córdoba. I think it's good in physics, but I don't know how much compared to others.
    I know that the one from Buenos Aires is also very good and a university in La Plata if I remember well. There's also a good place for postgraduate studies in physics, it's called the Instituto Balseiro.
    But anyway, I don't think it matters that much for undergraduate studies, I don't think there are big differences but I may be wrong. To apply for the Balseiro, one must have finished at least the first 2 years at university and from what I've heard there's a lot of laboratories.
    So what do you think about the courses I'll be involved in? Is it similar to Europe and North America? Or will I have to study some more topics in order to apply for a master degree?

5. Oct 10, 2008 #4

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

As long as you receive a decent undergraduate education and/or complement it with self studying you will be ok.

I really don't know about the courses as I graduated from Civil Engineering, but I went to a Latin American university, too. Also, I applied to Grad School recently and I did receive good offers (UIUC, UW, UMN, and others). I believe all it takes regardless of where you study is hard work and motivation.

You will do great!, Good luck!

6. Oct 10, 2008 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

Thank you very much Cyclovenom, that's encouraging. Till now I'm satisfied by the lectures I assist and the stuff we learn.
    I welcome any other thoughts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?