1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Bachelors in Chemistry and Masters in Chemical Engineering

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1
    Hello

I have a bachelors in chemistry and am planning to do a masters in chemical engineering. I was just wondering what the prospects would be of obtaining an engineering job without the bachelors in engineering? I am in Toronto if that matters.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2009 #2
    The one concern I would have is that some jobs might require a professional engineer certification... you may want to look into this. I'm not sure of the requirements for this certification in Canada, but in the US you need a bachelor's degree in the field of interest (at least that's the present case in the US, but in I think 2015 or so, they will change it to include science majors plus 30 degrees graduate credit in engineering -- i.e. a bachelor's in science is ok if you have a master's in engineering).

Note: That might limit your prospects only if the job lists it as a requirement and if the company uses I computerized search. I'd still say your job prospects with a graduate degree in engineering are pretty good. :wink:

4. Feb 10, 2009 #3
    Thanks alot for the information physicsgirl. May I ask what educational and career path you took?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook