How hard to get an entry chemical engineering position?

In summary: The most important things you can do to separate yourself from other candidates are to have a solid job history, be well-rounded in your education (BS/MS in another field is a plus), and be proactive in your job search.
jdalcin
I am a nontraditional applicant with a bachelor's degree in neuroscience. I am almost finished a master's degree in chemical engineering, but many jobs that I wish to apply to have a "bachelor's of engineering" as a requirement. And a master's as only a "preference." Would these companies still be willing to consider me? If I have a master's in the field, but no bachelor's, do I fulfill the bachelor's requirement or am I automatically kicked out of the applicant pool?

Physics news on Phys.org
I came from a non-traditional background. And I was curious if any chemical engineers, experienced in the field, would be able to offer any advice. How can I go about getting a entry-level job in chemical engineering and how likely is it?

A little bit on my background. I am a graduate of MIT with a bachelor's in neuroscience and minor in chemistry. I switched fields to chemical engineering and am currently undertaking my final year of a master's degree at the University of Maryland: College Park. My cumulative GPA is 3.46/4.00. I have a concentration in mechanical engineering, and I should have a paper in biomaterials published by the end of the academic year. I have no industry experience. Nor do I know how to go about getting an internship.

What sectors are my best bet for hiring? Should I focus on biochemical/biomedical engineering? Am I still eligible for more traditional chemical engineering occupations such as oil and gas? Although my background does not emphasize petroleum engineering, can the versatility of my background still have me hired at a great company like Schlumberger? Will companies scoff at my non-traditional background (i.e only 2 years of hardcore chemical engineering courses)? Or can I use it to my benefit? When are the best times to apply (as I hear hiring seasons are very cyclical)?

And also, do I need an internship to vastly increase the competiveness of my application? My time in lab is sort of like a full-time job. I often have to balance that with the rigors of schoolwork. And my research should lead to industrial applications (albeit in materials).

But if I do need an internship, what can I do to go about getting one say for January or next summer? Will I look over or underqualified in my resume?

And finally, what are the most important things that I can do separate myself from the thousands of other qualified candidates applying to chemical engineering positions? I am really invested in becoming an engineer.

jdalcin said:
I am almost finished a master's degree in chemical engineering, but many jobs that I wish to apply to have a "bachelor's of engineering" as a requirement. And a master's as only a "preference." Would these companies still be willing to consider me? If I have a master's in the field, but no bachelor's
Yes. At least mine would, so I assume many others would also.

Your background in engineering should be way less rigorous. All places I am familiar with, all the important theoretical knowledge, you get during your BSc. The MSc is for application, research experience, internships and some specialization.

Best bet would be to find a place where you actually have synergy from your BSc degree. Now in this case with it being neuroscience, that will not be easy. Once you have solid job experience, the nature of your BSc should be less of an issue.

Did your GPA suffer because you lacked the basic courses? Did you follow all the high level courses or did you do mostly undergrad courses as part of your grad degree? A minor can hardly cover for 4 years of education. Now I understand in the US in college you also catch up on basic education not gotten in high school, but that's also why you guys have a fourth year.

They probably would still consider you, as you on paper should know more than a BSc, but if they don't want a MSc in ChemE and they want someone who has experience, they may flag you as less than ideal.
Just hard to see in which cases the Neuroscience BSc-ChemE MSc would be an advantage over all the other options.

In most places ChemE is an excellent degree for employment, so I would really start worrying. There's a lot more to getting a job than just your degree.

Last edited:

1. What qualifications are needed to get an entry-level chemical engineering position?

To get an entry-level chemical engineering position, most employers will require a minimum of a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering or a related field. Other qualifications may include relevant internships or co-op experiences, strong technical and analytical skills, and proficiency in industry software and programming languages.

2. How competitive is the job market for entry-level chemical engineers?

The job market for entry-level chemical engineers can vary depending on the current state of the industry and the location. Generally, it is considered a competitive field, with a limited number of positions available compared to the number of qualified candidates. However, with the increasing demand for sustainable and renewable energy solutions, the job market for chemical engineers may see growth in the coming years.

3. What types of companies hire entry-level chemical engineers?

Entry-level chemical engineers can be hired by a wide range of companies in various industries, including pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, oil and gas, consumer goods, and environmental consulting. Some may also find opportunities in government agencies or research institutions. It is important to research and target companies that align with your interests and career goals.

4. How important is work experience in securing an entry-level chemical engineering position?

While work experience can certainly make you a more competitive candidate, it is not always a requirement for entry-level positions. Employers understand that recent graduates may not have significant work experience, so they may look for other qualifications, such as academic achievements, relevant coursework, and extracurricular activities. However, having internships or co-op experiences can give you an edge in the job market and help you develop practical skills.

5. What can I do to increase my chances of getting hired as an entry-level chemical engineer?

Aside from meeting the basic qualifications, there are a few things you can do to increase your chances of getting hired as an entry-level chemical engineer. Networking with professionals in the industry, attending career fairs and industry events, and building a strong online presence can help you make connections and learn about job opportunities. Additionally, gaining relevant work experience through internships or research projects, and continuously developing your technical and soft skills can make you a more desirable candidate.