What's the Best Bag for Protecting My Books?

• Thread starter tom12519
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a bag that can protect books from wear and tear while being transported. Recommendations are given for bags with multiple pockets and compartments to keep items in place. The idea of using book covers is also suggested, although it is noted that they may not fully protect the books. Some people share their personal experiences with different types of bags, including using a rubber band with a buckle or a Jansport bag. One person mentions being less concerned about the condition of their textbooks, as they highlight, dog ear, and even tear out pages if necessary.
tom12519
I have quite a few very nice and reasonably expensive physics books. However, when transporting them on my person, I hate the corners to get dog-eared and the book to generally get ruined in my rucksack. So, can anybody recommend a bag that will minimise/completely prevent such wear on the books? So far the best options seem to be hard plastic folders or a satchel bag. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I got a nice messenger bag from Banana Republic a few years ago. I had one similar to this one before but it ripped because the material was thinner. This one is more heavy duty and has lasted me without any problems. Its nice because it has a ton of pockets and zippers nearly anywhere and everywhere. I can put all pens, pencils, calculator, flash drive, post-its, etc, inside that pocket. Once its closed you can shake the hell out of it and nothing will fall out of its pocket.

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/6823/pict0324ge1.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4786/pict0325el1.jpg

If you are looking for a new bag, look for overall ergonomics. Make sure it's got pockets anywhere and everywhere so you can put things in there and they stay in place. Make sure you shake it really well to see if things stay put. The older one I had before this wasn't designed as well. Even though it had pockets, things would fall out and not stay in place.

You can't see it in the picture, but its also got a zippered cargo net inside, a zippered pocket inside (shown in the picture), a slot with a strap that velcros to hold stuff in the pocket down (I put notepads in there). In the back is another open slot to put things, and a zipper runs along the length of the bottom to increase the width if you're putting something wider inside. It's really, really functional.

Have you put book covers on your books to protect them?

Evo said:
Have you put book covers on your books to protect them?

That doesn't help much with the corners getting dented.

I guess it might depend how big the books are and how many you have to carry at a time. If they fit, maybe slipping them into a laptop sleeve would help cushion them more.

Most of the textbooks for our courses are paperback instead of hardcover now. It lightens the load, but you can't put a cover on them and they're more susceptible to getting bumped around. I usually only have to carry one home at a time though, if I want to work from home on preparing lectures. I put them in the file compartment of my laptop bag/briefcase, and they stay put and don't get damaged there the way they would if they had more room to move around. I think that's the key, limiting the space they have so they aren't bumping around as you walk. So, if you have to carry around a big backpack with too much room, maybe the laptop sleeves would pad them up a bit.

Still a good bookcover will protect most of the book, if it's hardback, of course. I made nice cloth book covers for some of my better books. Most of the wear and tear was from handling them. It also keeps them from getting dirty.

It's only a book.

Years ago, when I first started in 1st grade: my mother gave me this sort of rubber band with a buckle to carry my books. It was hers when she went to school I believe. And though I only had it for that one year myself, I have to say that it was just fine for carrying two or three textbooks to and fro.

Otherwise, stick with a good old Jansport...

http://tw.image.bid.yahoo.com/users/8/9/7/7/hank40a-img500x500-1215570089282452-3.jpg

I have never found them to beat my book up. Maybe you are more particular than I am though.

My texbook conditions would horrify you. I highlight, dogear, and have ripped out pages if necessary.

FAQ: What's the Best Bag for Protecting My Books?

What is the best type of bag for protecting my books?

The best type of bag for protecting books is a dust jacket or book cover specifically designed for books. These covers provide a snug fit and extra protection against dust and other debris.

Should I store my books in plastic bags?

No, plastic bags can trap moisture and cause damage to the pages and cover of the book. It is best to use specialized book covers or acid-free paper to protect books.

What material is best for book bags?

The best material for book bags is acid-free paper or fabric. These materials are gentle on the books and do not contain harmful chemicals that can cause damage over time.

Do I need to wrap each book individually?

If storing books in a bag, it is recommended to wrap each book individually to provide maximum protection. This also helps prevent books from rubbing against each other and causing damage.

How often should I change book bags?

This depends on the condition of the bag and the books being stored. If the bag becomes damaged or dirty, it is best to replace it. Also, if the books are being stored long-term, it is recommended to replace the bag every few years to ensure continued protection.