How can I balance this chemical equation?

• Thread starter Precursor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, the given equation is unbalanced and needs to be balanced properly. The first step is to balance the charges, followed by balancing the oxygen atoms. The student is currently stuck on balancing the oxygen and is seeking for help.
Precursor
Homework Statement
I am to balance the following equation:
Al(OH)41-(aq) + H2SO4(aq) ---> Al(OH)3(s) + H2O + SO42-

The attempt at a solution

Al(OH)41-(aq) + H2SO4(aq) ---> Al(OH)3(s) + 3/2H2O + SO42-

The bolded part above is all I could add to the equation, but I now need to balance the oxygen. This is where I am stuck. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not only oxygen, there are more problems with the equation - charge is not balanced.

Al(OH)4- loses OH-, H2SO4 loses 2H+. Try to start from here.

--

balancing chemical equations is a fundamental skill in understanding and predicting chemical reactions. In order to balance the equation provided, we must ensure that the number of atoms of each element is equal on both the reactant and product sides of the equation.

In this case, we can start by balancing the elements that appear only once on each side, such as aluminum (Al) and sulfur (S). We can see that the Al atoms are already balanced with 1 on each side, but the S atoms are not. Therefore, we can add a coefficient of 1/2 in front of the sulfate ion (SO42-) on the product side to balance the S atoms.

Next, we can move on to balancing the oxygen atoms. We currently have 4 oxygen atoms on the reactant side and 5 on the product side. To balance this, we can add a coefficient of 3/2 in front of water (H2O) on the product side, giving us a total of 4 oxygen atoms on each side.

Finally, we can check the overall charge on each side to ensure that it is balanced. We have a charge of -1 on the reactant side and -2 on the product side. To balance this, we can add a coefficient of 2 in front of the aluminum hydroxide (Al(OH)3) on the product side, giving us a final balanced equation of:

2Al(OH)41-(aq) + 3H2SO4(aq) ---> 2Al(OH)3(s) + 3H2O + 3SO42-

It is important to note that the coefficients in front of each compound represent the number of moles, not atoms. Therefore, the final equation is balanced in terms of both atoms and moles. I hope this helps in your understanding of balancing chemical equations.

1. What is a chemical equation?

A chemical equation is a written representation of a chemical reaction, showing the reactants and products involved and their respective ratios.

2. Why is balancing a chemical equation important?

Balancing a chemical equation is important because it ensures that the same number of atoms of each element are present on both sides of the equation, following the law of conservation of mass.

3. How do you balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you must adjust the coefficients in front of each reactant and product until the number of atoms of each element is equal on both sides of the equation. You can also use the "trial and error" method or use algebraic equations to solve for the coefficients.

4. What are the rules for balancing a chemical equation?

The main rule for balancing a chemical equation is that the number of atoms of each element must be the same on both sides. Additionally, the coefficients must be in the lowest possible ratio and cannot be fractions.

5. Can a chemical equation be balanced without changing the subscripts?

No, the subscripts in a chemical equation represent the number of atoms of each element in a molecule, and these cannot be changed. Only the coefficients can be adjusted to balance the equation.