Balancing Normal Forces (Statics).

In summary: No, it is not. It is based on the center of mass being at the center of the bar.You have two equations describing the torque balance around point B. One is in terms of Fb and the other is in terms of Fa. You should be able to work it out from there.OK, I see my error. I did not include the mass of the bar in my calculations for torque. I can now see how 2m would be the correct distance for the block. I have gone back to the original equation and with the correct torque for B and the correct distance for block I get:## 1∗(\frac{260}{3}∗9.8)+1∗(60
RioAlvarado

Homework Statement

A horizontal uniform bar of mass 260 kg and length L = 3.0 m is placed on two supports, labeled A and B, located as shown in the diagram. A block of mass 60 kg is placed on the right end of the bar.

problems_MIT_rayyan_check_points_Pictures_BK85.png

Find the normal forces FA and FB exerted on the bar by the supports. Enter your answer in Newtons (N). Use g = 9.8 m/s2.

Homework Equations

##\Sigma F = m*a##
## \tau = F * D ##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I had thought to use a system of equations to solve the problem, however I simply cannot find/get to work a second equation.

I believe I have one correct equation: ## F_A + F_B = (260 + 60) * 9.8 ##. This being from Newton's Second Law. I tried to work out another equation with the torques of A and B being equal to zero (based on an equilibrium assumption), using the position of the red square as the starting point I tried: ## -.5*F_A + 1.5*F_B = 0 ##. This however proved fruitless. At this point I am out of ideas.

As always, my thanks in advance for any assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
RioAlvarado said:

Homework Statement

A horizontal uniform bar of mass 260 kg and length L = 3.0 m is placed on two supports, labeled A and B, located as shown in the diagram. A block of mass 60 kg is placed on the right end of the bar.

problems_MIT_rayyan_check_points_Pictures_BK85.png

Find the normal forces FA and FB exerted on the bar by the supports. Enter your answer in Newtons (N). Use g = 9.8 m/s2.

Homework Equations

##\Sigma F = m*a##
## \tau = F * D ##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I had thought to use a system of equations to solve the problem, however I simply cannot find/get to work a second equation.

I believe I have one correct equation: ## F_A + F_B = (260 + 60) * 9.8 ##. This being from Newton's Second Law. I tried to work out another equation with the torques of A and B being equal to zero (based on an equilibrium assumption), using the position of the red square as the starting point I tried: ## -.5*F_A + 1.5*F_B = 0 ##. This however proved fruitless. At this point I am out of ideas.

As always, my thanks in advance for any assistance.
You need to find the torque about some particular point. The torque about that point due to ALL of the forces must be zero. Two of those forces are FA and FB. But there are two more, due to gravity acting on the block and on the bar itself. (Equivalently, you can set the sum of clockwise torques to be equal to the sum of counter-clockwise torques.)

OK. So if we chose the particular point as B our torque equation would be ##1 * (\frac{260}{3} * 9.8) + 1*(60*9.8) = 1.5*F_B + .5 * F_A ##. Am I on the right track?

RioAlvarado said:
OK. So if we chose the particular point as B our torque equation would be ##1 * (\frac{260}{3} * 9.8) + 1*(60*9.8) = 1.5*F_B + .5 * F_A ##. Am I on the right track?
Not quite.

Picking point B is OK. However, how far from B if the normal force F applied?

It looks like you just copied your moment equation from your first attempt at solution without realizing that the selection of a different reference point changes the moments of each normal force. When you pick a particular point as a reference for moment calculations, the moment arms of all forces must be measured from this same point.

Also, you should realize that moments have a certain orientation. A clockwise moment is different from a counter-clockwise moment.

Alright, trying to work more carefully now: ## 1∗(\frac{260}{3}∗9.8)+1∗(60∗9.8) = 0*F_B + 1.5*F_A##. The distance from B is zero, so if I use that as the reference point its torque is zero, it is still one meter to the point where the red block is, so the ones stay there. And point A is 1.5 meters from B, thus my logic for the above equation.

(Side note: The deadline has based and I have the answers (but I still want to know how), I get something that is within the acceptable 5% margin of error using ## 1∗(\frac{260}{3}∗9.8)+1∗(60∗9.8) = 0*F_B + 3*F_A##. However this a. doesn't make sense to me and b. I still feel I should be able to hit their answer on the nose seeing as rounding is practically nonexistent in systems of equations solved on CAS.)

If you have divided the mass of the uniform bar by 3 in order to calculate the amount of the bar which is not balanced about point B, you should use the correct distance from its center of mass to point B as the moment arm, in other words, 2 m - 0.5 m = 1.5 m, instead of 1.0 m.

How far is point A from point B? According to your calculations, it is 2.0 m. Check the diagram carefully.

But my mass is already based on there being a distance of one meter from B to the block. I say since it is a uniform bar we know that in the one meter of bar there is 260/3 kilograms present.

Isn't it 1.5 meters? which is what I had in my initial equation, I don't recall ever putting in 2.0.

RioAlvarado said:
But my mass is already based on there being a distance of one meter from B to the block. I say since it is a uniform bar we know that in the one meter of bar there is 260/3 kilograms present.

Isn't it 1.5 meters? which is what I had in my initial equation, I don't recall ever putting in 2.0.
Are you using B as the reference point for torque, as you said in post #5? How far is the center of mass from B ?

RioAlvarado said:

Sorry, 2.0 was a typo on my part. I meant to type 3.0.

If it's 1.5 m from Point A to point B, then why does your moment equation say "3 * FA"?

What is the definition of normal force?

The normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object that is in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and acts in the opposite direction of the force being applied to the surface by the object.

What is the importance of balancing normal forces?

Balancing normal forces is important because it ensures that an object remains in a state of equilibrium, meaning that there is no net force acting on the object and it is not accelerating. This is crucial for structures and machines to function properly and safely.

How do normal forces affect stability?

Normal forces play a key role in determining the stability of an object. If the normal forces acting on an object are not balanced, the object will experience a net torque and may tip over or become unstable. By balancing normal forces, an object can maintain its stability.

What factors can affect the magnitude of normal forces?

The magnitude of normal forces can be affected by the weight of the object, the surface it is in contact with, and the angle at which the force is applied. Other factors, such as friction and air resistance, can also have an impact on the normal forces acting on an object.

What are some real-life applications of balancing normal forces?

Balancing normal forces is essential in many fields, including engineering, architecture, and physics. It is used in the design of buildings, bridges, and other structures to ensure their stability. It is also important in the mechanics of machines and vehicles to prevent tipping or sliding. Understanding and balancing normal forces is crucial for maintaining safety and efficiency in various real-life situations.