Understanding Ball Deformation in Collisions: A Microscopic vs. Macroscopic View

In summary: So the elasticity of a bouncing ball is due to the fact that it's trying to go back to its original shape.
niscsi
Hi

Firstly I'm begginer level at physics, but I'm thinking for days about this problem:
how change tha ball shape when it collide with a wall.
I'm looking for books etc on the net, i found several about deformation but all i found
are very short. The best is write about usually the compute the deformation are two way
microscopic and the simpler is a macroscope/fenomelogy view. This book mentioned whan i
would like to calculate the deformation of shape i have to calculate some motion differential
equations but this is very complicated. So I'm looking for books which include more about this..
(Sorry i read this book in hungarian so maybe my translate is not correct so I'm looking for the
correct english words about this problem)

Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially if you make a ball collide with a wall a few things could happen. Depending on the material of the ball it could have things ranging from no damage, to permanent significant deformation, to maybe even fracture. It just depends on the materials that compose the ball.

Thank you for your answer :)

So I'm thinking about tennis ball, so i think no permanent significant deformation.

So maybe, my goal is making a program with slow motion about the collide.

Ah, well I don't really have anything else in terms of actual data, however there is a professor at the University of Illinois that does some research on the physics of baseball, perhaps that's a good place to start. I think he also wrote a book about it part of which I think is dedicated to the deformation of the ball and the effects of it.

One thing to keep in mind is that hollow balls that bounce, like tennis balls, owe much of their elasticity to their tendency to return to their undeformed shapes like a spring would. If you smash two sliders on a linear air track together, they won't tend to have an elastic collision. But put springs on them and you will.

Related to Understanding Ball Deformation in Collisions: A Microscopic vs. Macroscopic View

1. What is ball collision deformation?

Ball collision deformation refers to the changes in shape and size of a ball when it collides with another object or surface. This can be caused by the transfer of energy and forces during the collision.

2. How does ball material affect collision deformation?

The material of a ball can greatly affect its collision deformation. Materials with higher elasticity, such as rubber, will have less deformation compared to materials with lower elasticity, such as clay. The hardness and density of the material also play a role in determining the amount of deformation.

3. What factors influence the amount of deformation during a ball collision?

The amount of deformation during a ball collision is influenced by several factors, including the speed of the ball, the angle of impact, the material properties of the ball and the object it collides with, and the shape and size of the objects involved in the collision.

4. Can ball collision deformation be predicted?

Yes, ball collision deformation can be predicted using mathematical equations and computer simulations. These calculations take into account the various factors that influence deformation, such as velocity, mass, and material properties, to determine the outcome of a collision.

5. How is ball collision deformation used in real-world applications?

Ball collision deformation has many practical applications, including in sports equipment design, crash testing, and impact analysis in engineering and construction. Understanding the deformation of balls during collisions helps to improve the performance and safety of various products and structures.