Banach Space that is NOT Hilbert

In summary, a Banach space that is not a Hilbert space is a space that cannot be made into a Hilbert space by adding an inner product. This completeness business is little bit misdirection, since dealing with finite dimensional spaces, where completeness is trivial, is enough.
Old Guy
I know that all Hilbert spaces are Banach spaces, and that the converse is not true, but I've been unable to come up with a (hopefully simple!) example of a Banach space that is not also a Hilbert space. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: a necessary and sufficient for a Banach space [tex](\mathcal{B},\|\cdot\|)[/tex] to be a Hilbert space is for the norm to satisfy the parallelogram identity:

[tex] \| a+b \|^2 + \|a-b \|^2 = 2 \|a\|^2 + 2\| b\|^2 [/tex]

for each [tex] a,b \in \mathcal{B}[/tex]. Now think of some simple Banach spaces and check the above.

Thank you, Anthony; I was aware of this condition but could not come up with anything. I believe I'm looking for a complete normed vector space (Banach) that is NOT complete under the inner product norm (as required for Hilbert), but I can't quite get my brain around how this would look.

Speaking about spaces that are not Hilbert spaces is not quite clear always. Strictly speaking, if you don't define any inner product onto a given Banach space, then it is not a Hilbert space! But if you are asked to give an example of a Banach space that is not an Hilbert space, most surely it means that you want a kind of space that cannot even be made into a Hilbert space. That means that an inner product that would give the original norm, doesn't exist.

Anthony said:
Hint: a necessary and sufficient for a Banach space [tex](\mathcal{B},\|\cdot\|)[/tex] to be a Hilbert space is for the norm to satisfy the parallelogram identity:

[tex] \| a+b \|^2 + \|a-b \|^2 = 2 \|a\|^2 + 2\| b\|^2 [/tex]

for each [tex] a,b \in \mathcal{B}[/tex]. Now think of some simple Banach spaces and check the above.

I got stuck there. How do you prove the bilinearity of

[tex]
(x|y) = \frac{1}{2}(\|x+y\|^2 - \|x\|^2 - \|y\|^2)
[/tex]

by using the parallelogram only? :confused: (I'm dealing with real vector spaces first.)

This completeness business is little bit misdirection, since dealing with finite dimensional spaces, where completeness is trivial, is enough. One can device a two dimensional norm space which is not an inner product space, and then you have a Banach space which is not a Hilbert space.

jostpuur said:
One can device a two dimensional norm space which is not an inner product space, and then you have a Banach space which is not a Hilbert space.

This is exactly what I'm seeking; can someone please provide an example? Thank you.

Think of a space of functions: Say you fix some interval, look at the continuous functions...

Or just consider the p-norms on R^2, and use the parallelogram law. It's very easy to prove that the only p-norm that comes from an inner product is the 2-norm.

jostpuur said:

[tex]
[/tex]

by using the parallelogram only? :confused: (I'm dealing with real vector spaces first.)
If [tex]\| \cdot \|[/tex] satisfies the parallelogram identity, then the induced inner product is given by the polarization identity:

[tex] (a,b) = \frac{1}{4} \left( \| a+b\|^2 - \|a-b\|^2\right)[/tex]

The only tough thing to prove is linearity. Here's a hint that should lead you on the right direction:

[tex]\begin{align*} \| (a+b)+c\|^2 + \| (a+b)-c\|^2 &= 2\left( \| a+b\|^2 + \|c\|^2 \right) \\
\| (a-b)+c\|^2 + \| (a-b)-c\|^2 &= 2\left( \| a-b\|^2 + \|c\|^2 \right)\end{align*}[/tex]

for [tex]a,b,c\in\mathcal{B}[/tex], which both follow from the parallelogram identity. Now subtract them and use the definition of [tex](\cdot, \cdot)[/tex] given by the polarization identity.

Old Guy: I would follow morphism's advice and try out some norms you know of in [tex]\mathbf{R}^n[/tex].

jostpuur said:

[tex]
[/tex]

Why do you want to prove it? Your original problem was to find a Banach space that is not a Hilbert space. It was pointed out that a norm that does not satisfy the "parallelogram" inequality is not an innerproduct space. It was also pointed out that any Lp[/sup] for p other than 2 is a Banach space that is not a Hilbert space. There is no need to prove that "if the parallelgram inequality is satisified, a Banach space is a Hilbert space.

HallsofIvy, it was Old Guy, not jostpuur, who posed the original problem. :)

What is a Banach Space that is NOT Hilbert?

A Banach Space is a complete normed vector space, meaning that it is a vector space equipped with a norm that satisfies the completeness axiom. This means that every Cauchy sequence in the space converges to a point within the space. A Banach Space that is NOT Hilbert is simply a Banach Space that does not satisfy the additional properties of a Hilbert Space, such as having an inner product and satisfying the parallelogram law.

What are some examples of Banach Spaces that are NOT Hilbert?

Examples of Banach Spaces that are NOT Hilbert include the space of continuous functions on a closed interval, the space of square-integrable functions over a measure space, and the space of Lebesgue integrable functions over a measure space.

What are the main differences between a Banach Space and a Hilbert Space?

The main differences between a Banach Space and a Hilbert Space are that a Hilbert Space has an inner product and satisfies the parallelogram law, while a Banach Space does not necessarily have these properties. Additionally, the norm in a Hilbert Space is induced by the inner product, while in a Banach Space it is defined separately.

Can a Banach Space that is NOT Hilbert still be a useful mathematical tool?

Yes, a Banach Space that is NOT Hilbert can still be a useful mathematical tool. Many mathematical problems can still be solved using Banach Spaces that are not Hilbert Spaces, and they have important applications in areas such as functional analysis, differential equations, and optimization.

What are some open questions or areas of research related to Banach Spaces that are NOT Hilbert?

Some current areas of research related to Banach Spaces that are NOT Hilbert include the theory of non-linear operators, the study of non-homogeneous Banach Spaces, and the study of function spaces over non-rectifiable curves.