1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Banked highway curves and static friction

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 1200 kg car rounds a curve of radius 67 m banked at an angle of 12 degrees. If the car is traveling at 95 km/hr, will a friction force be required? If so how much and in what direction?

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma
    a=v2/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong with this problem. These are the two equations I have from them and when I try to solve I either get a huge number or a negative.

Ncos[tex]\theta[/tex]-Ffrsin[tex]\theta[/tex]-mg=0

Nsin[tex]\theta[/tex]+Ffrcos[tex]\theta[/tex]=ma

I'm positive that it needs friction force and I think it is in the direction of the center of curve, but I haven't figured out a way to solve. Can someone please help?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

4. Feb 23, 2009 #3
    Hey thanks! I think I found out what I was doing wrong. I didn't really take notice that the force of friction was equal to the friction coefficient multiplied by the normal force. Thank you very much!

5. Feb 23, 2009 #4
    I don't think you did.
    Your equations were right but you need to solve for F by eliminating N.

By far the simplest way is to resolve || to the slope in the first place.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook