Are these words really banned from the English language in 2007?

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
In summary: Yeah, I can see that. But for real life? Nah.In summary, this list contains examples of words that have been banished from the Queen's English for misuse, overuse and general uselessness. Some examples include celebrity duos, pregnancy, and truthfulness. Some people criticized the list for including outdated words such as boast and dumpster. Some people suggested alternatives to these words, such as hiding, dodging, andmiching. Some people mentioned that Coke and Xerox had similar problems with their trademarks. The list was created in 2006, and so far there have been no reports of any lawsuits being filed in relation to it.
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I love this list every year. :biggrin:

Lake Superior State University proposes an exit strategy for 2006: the 32nd annual List of Words Banished from the Queen's English for Mis-Use, Over-Use and General Uselessness.

http://www.lssu.edu/banished/

Some examples from the list:
COMBINED CELEBRITY NAMES -- Celebrity duos of yore -- BogCall (Bogart and Bacall), Lardy (Laurel and Hardy), and CheeChong (Cheech and Chong) -- just got lucky.

"It's bad enough that celebrities have to be the top news stories. Now we've given them obnoxious names such as 'Bragelina,' 'TomKat' and 'Bennifer.'" -- M. Foster, Port Huron, Michigan.

"It's so annoying, idiotic and so lame and pathetic that it's 'lamethetic.'" -- Ed of Centreville, Virginia.
GONE/WENT MISSING -- "It makes 'missing' sound like a place you can visit, such as the Poconos. Is the person missing, or not? She went there but maybe she came back. 'Is
missing' or 'was missing' would serve us better." -- Robin Dennis, Flower Mound, Texas.
WE'RE PREGNANT -- Grounded for nine months.

"Were men feeling left out of the whole morning sickness/huge belly/labor experience? You may both be expecting, but only one of you is pregnant." -- Sharla Hulsey, Sac City, Iowa.
http://www.lssu.edu/banished/current.php

Science news on Phys.org
hey! I thought we ditched this one last year!:mad:

TRUTHINESS – "This word, popularized by The Colbert Report and exalted by the American Dialectic Society's Word of the Year in 2005 has been used up. What used to ring true is getting all the truth wrung out of it." -- Joe Grimm, Detroit, Michigan.

"Boasts" was the awesomest! It completely pwned that list.

Gokul43201 said:
"Boasts" was the awesomest! It completely pwned that list.

:rofl: I like the explanations that went with it. :biggrin: "Kitchen laments cracked linoleum." :rofl:

Glad you popped back in, I thought you might have fallen asleep at the cryostat and were going to wake up finding your forehead frozen to it!

And, MIH, cute kitty!

Ooh, about 10 min to the New Year here, so better turn on the TV so I don't miss it. :rofl:

Math Is Hard said:
hey! I thought we ditched this one last year!:mad:
Hey, don't I recognize that face in your avatar? I'ts laying on my keyboard right now. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Evo said:
Hey, don't I recognize that face in your avatar? I's laying on my keyboard right now. :biggrin:

:biggrin: Hi Dr. Foofer!

Math Is Hard said:
:biggrin: Hi Dr. Foofer!

Looks a little like Ember too...she has gray tabby on her face even though the rest of her is calico. But, she has darker eyeliner than Dr. Foofer.

Evo said:
Hey, don't I recognize that face in your avatar? I'ts laying on my keyboard right now. :biggrin:
Hah. You sounded much more drunk when your post said "I's laying on my keyboard right now."

Hurkyl said:
Hah. You sounded much more drunk when your post said "I's laying on my keyboard right now."

hee hee That's her Southern flirty talk. TE loves it. :wink:

Hurkyl said:

:rofl: And here I thought it was Dr. Foofer posting and he was just having a little trouble with speaking human.

Moonbear said:
Looks a little like Ember too...she has gray tabby on her face even though the rest of her is calico. But, she has darker eyeliner than Dr. Foofer.

we are going to need some new pics of her soon. :smile:

Math Is Hard said:
we are going to need some new pics of her soon. :smile:

I'll go switch computers and upload a few! I have no shortage of Ember pictures (though, I haven't taken too many since she got spayed...she doesn't want me to post nude photos of her, so insists I wait until the fur grows back :biggrin:).

They may actually be sued by Google.

"Might as well banish it. The word has been replaced by 'google.'" -- Michael Raczko, Swanton, Ohio.

Rehab: As it applies to actors, comedians, and congressmen.

Suggested alternatives: Hiding, evading, dodging, miching

EmilK said:

Remember that Coke had the same problem: those names that are too successful and really do become "household words" loose their trademark status.

Xerox had a similar problem. It'd be interesting to dig up a list of things that were once trademarks but are no more.

My favorite word of that nature is Dumpster. I'd be willing to bet almost no one even realizes it's the name of the company that manufactures them.

For making a joke?

1. What is the purpose of having a list of banned words for 2007?

The purpose of having a list of banned words for 2007 is to promote inclusivity and respect for all individuals. These words have been deemed offensive or derogatory and are not appropriate to use in scientific research or any other context.

2. Who decides which words are included in the banned list?

The list of banned words for 2007 is typically compiled by a committee of experts in the field of language and communication. They review current societal norms and determine which words are no longer acceptable to use.

3. Can words be removed from the banned list?

Yes, words can be removed from the banned list if they are no longer considered offensive or if their usage has evolved to be more inclusive. However, this decision is typically made by the same committee that created the list in the first place.

4. What happens if someone uses a banned word in their research?

If a banned word is used in scientific research, it may be flagged by peer reviewers or editors and could potentially lead to the rejection of the research. Additionally, using these words can damage the credibility and reputation of the researcher and their work.

5. Are there any exceptions to using the banned words in scientific research?

In some cases, the use of a banned word may be necessary for the purpose of discussing its impact or studying its usage. However, it is important for researchers to use these words carefully and with sensitivity, and to provide justification for their use in their research.

Back