Barometric pressure and the math behind it. Very interesting, I think.

In summary, the conversation discusses the life of Edmond Halley and his discovery of the relationship between barometric pressure and sea level. The speaker is unclear on what barometric pressure is and asks for clarification and mathematical examples. They also inquire about the physics behind this phenomenon and ask for a link to more information. The discussion also touches on the potential impact of barometric pressure on fishing and weather forecasting.
jasonlr82794
Hey guys, I was actually researching the life of Edmond Halley and discovered that he discovered the relationship between barometric pressure and the height of the sea level. I'm not quite sure what barometric pressure is( I know it has a lot to do with whether fishermen fish or not) and would like to know. Can you also show me some mathematical examples on how to find this and the mathematical relationship between these two things. Also, what is the physics behind this interesting phenomenom. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll do my best to help, but I think you may be confused about something because what you are saying doesn't make a lot of sense.

-Barometric pressure is just the pressure exerted by the atmosphere (and FYI, you should always start by googling simple terms): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atmospheric_pressure

-Barometric pressure doesn't have much to do with sea level except insofar as sea level is used as the zero point for measuring altitude. You can use a barometer to measure altitude since pressure varies with altitude (if you calibrate it to the day's sea level pressure: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altimeter#Pressure_altimeter

-As for fish; someone else will have to weigh-in, but I suspect it has something to do with their ability to sense and control depth. Perhaps when atmospheric pressure is higher they swim closer to the surface (because they think they are deeper than they are).

-As for fish; someone else will have to weigh-in, but I suspect it has something to do with their ability to sense and control depth. Perhaps when atmospheric pressure is higher they swim closer to the surface (because they think they are deeper than they are).

The best fishing I ever did was on lake in a small aluminium boat right before a storm hit. You cast out and pulled a pickeral in 5 minutes.

Also, a dropping barometric reading most times indicates that a storm or foul weather is approaching so if you are out on a large lake or out at sea, it might be best to head to port if your ship is not one that can withstand large waves.

I will add a link with some interesting weather/ barometric pressure relationships.
http://weather.about.com/od/weatherinstruments/a/barometers.htm

Last edited:

1. What is barometric pressure?

Barometric pressure, also known as atmospheric pressure, is the force per unit area exerted by the weight of the Earth's atmosphere. It is typically measured in units of millibars or inches of mercury.

2. How is barometric pressure measured?

Barometric pressure is measured using a device called a barometer. There are two main types of barometers: mercury and aneroid. Mercury barometers use a column of mercury to measure the pressure, while aneroid barometers use a flexible metal cell that expands and contracts with changes in pressure.

3. What factors affect barometric pressure?

Barometric pressure can be affected by a number of factors, including altitude, temperature, and weather patterns. As altitude increases, barometric pressure decreases. Changes in temperature can also cause changes in barometric pressure, as warm air expands and rises, causing lower pressure, and cold air contracts and sinks, causing higher pressure. Weather patterns such as high and low pressure systems can also affect barometric pressure.

4. What is the mathematical relationship between altitude and barometric pressure?

The mathematical relationship between altitude and barometric pressure is called the barometric formula. It states that as altitude increases, barometric pressure decreases exponentially. This formula takes into account the Earth's gravitational field and the density of the air at different altitudes.

5. How is barometric pressure used in weather forecasting?

Barometric pressure is used in weather forecasting as it can provide valuable information about current and future weather conditions. Changes in barometric pressure can indicate the movement of high and low pressure systems, which can affect the type of weather in a particular area. Meteorologists also use barometric pressure to measure and track the strength of storms and hurricanes.