Barrier to Flood Water: Is it Effective?

In summary, the conversation discusses the effectiveness of water-filled plastic barricades in preventing flood waters from reaching buildings on a street. The speaker questions the potential usefulness of the barricades due to their specific gravity and expresses concern about their effectiveness in higher flood levels. The other person clarifies that the barriers are only effective up to a certain flood level and may float away if the water level surpasses the barrier height. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that the barriers could still be helpful in certain situations.
coolul007
Gold Member
This has been bothering me for a year. I saw a news report outlining the potential of a flood coming down a street. The street was lined with plastic barricades filled with water to keep the flood waters from getting to the buildings on the street. It seemed to me that since the specific gravity of the barricade was only slightly greater than water, they would merely become part of the flood debris and stop nothing. Am I missing something?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I think these barriers are only "good" for flood level up to some specified fraction of the barrier's height. If the flood height reached the barrier height, the barrier would indeed lift off the ground surface and float away.

EDIT
Google: water filled flood barriers

• Informative
Likes russ_watters and Keith_McClary
gmax137 said:
I think these barriers are only "good" for flood level up to some specified fraction of the barrier's height. If the flood height reached the barrier height, the barrier would indeed lift off the ground surface and float away.

EDIT
Google: water filled flood barriers
I did not know whether the flood happened or not. Thank you for pointing out that it could help to a point.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. How does a barrier to flood water work?

A barrier to flood water is typically a physical structure, such as a wall or levee, that is built to prevent water from entering a certain area. It can also be made of materials that absorb water, like sandbags. The barrier works by creating a barrier between the flood water and the area it is protecting, either by blocking it completely or slowing it down.

2. What factors affect the effectiveness of a barrier to flood water?

The effectiveness of a barrier to flood water depends on several factors, including the height and strength of the barrier, the type and intensity of the flood, and the condition of the surrounding land. A barrier that is too low or weak may not be able to withstand the force of the flood water, and if the flood is too severe, it may overwhelm the barrier and cause it to fail.

3. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a barrier to flood water?

While barriers to flood water can be effective in preventing or reducing flood damage, they also have some potential drawbacks. These include the cost of building and maintaining the barrier, the potential for environmental impact on the surrounding area, and the possibility of the barrier failing or being breached during a severe flood.

4. How do engineers determine where to place a barrier to flood water?

When determining the location of a barrier to flood water, engineers consider factors such as the topography of the area, the potential impact on nearby communities and ecosystems, and the likelihood of flooding in that particular area. They also take into account the cost and feasibility of building a barrier in a specific location.

5. Can a barrier to flood water be used in all types of floods?

While a barrier to flood water can be effective in many situations, it may not be suitable for all types of floods. For example, a barrier may not be effective in preventing flash floods, which are sudden and unpredictable. In addition, certain types of floods, such as storm surges, may be too powerful for a barrier to withstand. It is important to carefully assess the type and severity of the flood before deciding on the use of a barrier.