1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Baseball - (2D?) Kinematics - Projectile Motion

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A batter hits a baseball at a speed of 45 m/sec at an angle of 50° above the horizontal. The right fielder, who is standing 300 m away from the batter, begins to run when he sees the bat hit the ball. If the fielder runs at a constant speed, what speed does he need to run in order to catch the ball at a height of 1 m above the ground? Can he make it?

P.S. The batter hits a grounder.

2. Relevant equations

Not sure. I think this one is used.

Vfx = Vox + atx

3. The attempt at a solution

99o2sg.png

Please help if you can. I've honestly worked on this problem for at least two hours, but I don't understand it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2009 #2
    I believe you have to use Xf=Xi+vt+0.5at^2 to solve

4. Sep 21, 2009 #3
    I asked someone else, and he said that I should draw an accurate graph of this problem. But, I wasn't taught how to do this in class. I think my professor just used trigonometry or the equation you suggested, semc. I'm confused...

5. Sep 21, 2009 #4
    I am not sure what your friend suggested about drawing a graph but i believe drawing the projectile might help. Firstly you have to know that this is a 2D question so the equation has a x and y component. Just resolve the initial velocity into the x and y component and use the equation and you should be able to get the answer.

6. Sep 21, 2009 #5
    Thanks, semc. My homework assignment is due in a few minutes, so I can't type all that I wrote, but I calculated that the fielder must run 13.56 m/sec to catch the ball, which isn't possible.

7. Oct 15, 2009 #6
    Does Usain Bolt play baseball? =D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook