1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Calculus: Differentiation usage

1. May 17, 2017 #1
    Problem:
    How fast is the area of a rectangle changing if one side is I0 cm
    long and is increasing at a rate of 2 cm/s and the other side is 8 cm
    long and is decreasing at a rate of 3 cm/s?

I have 2 approach and I want to know which is correct, why and what am I missing

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello EE, :welcome:

Why do you use t=2 in the second approach ? Why not 1, 1/2, 1/10 or 1/1000 ? What is the limit for ##t\downarrow 0## ?

Oh, and read the PF rules -- they in fact don't allow me to answer your post as is...

4. May 17, 2017 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should type out your solution; most helpers will not look at images of handwritten work. Read the thread "Guidelines for students and helpers", by Vela, for more on this issue.

5. May 17, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ray, I thought micromass posted the guidelines (link in post #2 -- and I see EE was indeed reading them :smile: Good!)

EE: In fact you worked out s alright in approach 2. ##80 - 14 t - 6 t^2##. The derivative is correct too: ## {dS\over dt} = 14 - 12 t ## and my
    was mistaken.
    the rate of growth at ##t=0## comes out the same: ##-14## (but you forgot the minus sign in 1).

The rate of growth for other ##t## comes out the same too if you fill in the correct ##b## and ##a## !

And I agree with Ray about typing instead of posting a picture. But I ve seen a lot of pictures a lot worse than yours -- and this Is your first thread.

6. May 17, 2017 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I've seen a lot that were better, too. The image posted here is very small and not well lit, making it harder to read.

7. May 17, 2017 #6
    Thank you everyone for helping me and giving tips :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted