Basic commutator of angular momentum

In summary, the author uses the intermediate step of splitting up the commutator and then applies the Leibniz product rule multiple times to simplify it. This allows for the easier understanding and manipulation of more complex commutators.
catsarebad
Could someone explain to me how the author goes from 2nd to 3rd step

img1750.png

I think the intermediate step between 2 and 3 is basically to split up the commutator as

[y p_z, z p_x] - [y p_z,x p_z] - [z p_y,z p_x] + [z p_y, x p_z]

2nd term = 0
3rd term = 0

so leftover is
[L_x, L_y] = [y p_z, z p_x] + [z p_y, x p_z]

but how does this turn into what he has on 3rd step?

Physics news on Phys.org
catsarebad said:
[...]
so leftover is
[L_x, L_y] = [y p_z, z p_x] + [z p_y, x p_z]

but how does this turn into what he has on 3rd step?
Multiple applications of the Leibniz product rule: ##[AB,C] = A[B,C] + [A,C]B##

really? I thought it would be much simpler than that. I thought i was missing a trivial trick.

catsarebad said:
really? I thought it would be much simpler than that. I thought i was missing a trivial trick.
Once you become proficient with the Leibniz rule, you'll be able to skip steps. E.g., the ##y## in the 1st commutator commutes with ##zp_x##, so it can just be taken out the front, and so on. You could call that a "trivial" trick, but it's wise to carefully practice the Leibniz rule a few times initially, since it's essential when simplifying more difficult commutators.

1. What is a basic commutator of angular momentum?

The basic commutator of angular momentum is a mathematical operation that measures the non-commutativity of two angular momentum operators. It is used in quantum mechanics to calculate the uncertainty in measuring the components of angular momentum, and it is essential for understanding the behavior of quantum mechanical systems.

2. How is the basic commutator of angular momentum calculated?

The basic commutator of angular momentum is calculated by taking the difference between the product of two angular momentum operators in one order and the product in the opposite order. The result of this calculation is a number that represents the non-commutativity of the two operators.

3. What is the physical significance of the basic commutator of angular momentum?

The basic commutator of angular momentum has physical significance because it helps us understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics. It tells us that certain properties of quantum systems, such as angular momentum, cannot be measured simultaneously with absolute precision, and there will always be some uncertainty in their values.

4. Can the basic commutator of angular momentum be used to predict the behavior of quantum systems?

Yes, the basic commutator of angular momentum is an important tool for predicting the behavior of quantum systems. By calculating the commutator, we can determine the uncertainty in measuring the components of angular momentum, which is crucial for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. How does the basic commutator of angular momentum relate to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The basic commutator of angular momentum is mathematically equivalent to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. Both concepts demonstrate the fundamental uncertainty in measuring certain properties of quantum systems, such as position and momentum, and they both play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.