1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic electric force/field question I can't get

1. May 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle has a charge of +1.7 μC and moves from point A to point B, a distance of 0.26 m. The particle experiences a constant electric force, and its motion is along the line of action of the force. The difference between the particle's electric potential energy at A and B is EPEA - EPEB = +8.1 x 10-4 J. (a) Find the magnitude of the electric force that acts on the particle. (b) Find the magnitude of the electric field that the particle experiences.

2. Relevant equations
    F= qV/d

3. The attempt at a solution
    What's wrong with this reasoning:
    F = V/d and V=Ed so E=F/q=V/d
    Therefore F=qV/d
    substitute all those values into that formula to get the electrostatic force and it's wrong?

I also tried b) using E=kq/d^2 and that didn't work either! (I got 226331.3609 as the answer)

By the way, there are no rounding requirements or anything, only a 2% margin of error so it's not that.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What you are given is ##\Delta E_p## which is equal to ##q\Delta V##. By the way, what's the correct answer?

4. May 14, 2016 #3
    Right so I tried going:
    deltaE/q = deltaV
    Then using F=(q*deltaV)/d to get the electrostatic force and I got the wrong answer again

5. May 14, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the correct answer according to your source?

6. May 14, 2016 #5

I don't know sorry

7. May 14, 2016 #6

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then how did you know that your answer was wrong? Is it a homework given to you?

8. May 14, 2016 #7

It's this homework website and you get 5 attempts at getting the correct answer, it tells you when it is wrong but doesn't give you hints or the correct answer.

9. May 14, 2016 #8
    Could someone please help with this question? Really struggling

10. May 14, 2016 #9

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you post your own answer?

11. May 14, 2016 #10

I did it's in the OP. Do you know how to solve the question?

12. May 14, 2016 #11

Charles Link

Homework Helper

They give you the change in potential energy ## \Delta W=F \cdot d=q V ##. The change in voltage is often also referred to as the change in potential, but here they were quite specific that the particle experienced a change in its "potential energy", so that ## \Delta W=q V ##. (using ## W ## here for energy to save the letter ## E ## for the electric field. Notice also that ## V ## stands for voltage in electrical problems, and only becomes energy when multiplied by the charge ## q ##.)

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  13. May 14, 2016 #12

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

You start with F=V/d and show that F=qV/d? Something is wrong there. The units on each side of F=V/d don't match, so it can't be right.

What value did you use for V?

14. May 14, 2016 #13

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You mean this: 226331.3609 ? Isn't that your answer for (b). I asked for your answer for part (a).

15. May 14, 2016 #14

Thanks so much for this, I got it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted