1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic kinematics - calculating time

1. Oct 6, 2012 #1
    A boy in a wagon starts from a rest position and then goes down a straight ramp, gaining
    speed with uniform acceleration as he travels. In 6.00 s, he is travelling at 4.2 m/s.

a) What is his velocity at 10.0 s?

a = v2 – v1 / Δt
    a = 4.2 m/s [down] – 0 / 6.0 s
    a = 0.70 m/s^2 [down]

v2 = v1+a Δt
    v2 = 0 + (0.70 m/s2) x 10.0 s
    v2 = 7.0 m/s [down]

His velocity at 10.0 s is 7.0 m/s [down]

b) How long will it take him to reach a speed of 28.0 m/s?

This is where I am having trouble. I am unsure of the formula for calculating time. My book mentions Δt = v2 – v1 / Δt, but I believe this to be incorrect, so I tried Δt = v2 – v1 / a, but still could not get the answer they were looking for which is 40 seconds. Please advise.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

That's the correct formula. (Just a rearrangement of the one you were using.) Why can't you get the answer? What did you plug in?

4. Oct 6, 2012 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You are using the right equation but I wonder whether you are reading the question as they are hoping you should. I think they mean total time to reach 28m/s and not the extra time.

5. Oct 6, 2012 #4
    I am not sure what velocity to use, I was using 7.0 m/s for v2 and 0 for v1 and dividing it by 0.70 for acceleration.

6. Oct 6, 2012 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For part b, they are dividing 28 (total change in speed from zero) by 0.7 (the accn. you calculated). I think you should read the question again!

7. Oct 6, 2012 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

As sophiecentaur suggests, you need to reread the question. You were given the speed of 28.0 m/s for part b.

(7.0 m/s was the speed you found after 10 seconds.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook