1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic linear algebra direct sum questions

1. Nov 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm reading from the first edition of Axler's Linear algebra done right. In the section on sums of vector subspaces, he states:

U = {(x,0,0) ∈ F3 | x ∈ F}

W = {(y,y,0) ∈ F3 | y ∈ F}

and

1.7 U + W = {(x,y,0) ∈ F3 | x,y ∈ F}

However, shouldn't the answer be U + W = {(x+y,y,0) ∈ F3 | x,y ∈ F}? You could write z = x+y, but it seems incorrect to reuse x (instead of z) as a substitute variable in such a case- if this is at all what he's doing.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm going to ignore the 1.7. I assume that's a copying artifact. Suppose I told you U + W = {(a,b,0) ∈ F^3 | a,b ∈ F}. Would you agree with that? x and y don't have much meaning outside of the outside of the defining statements.

4. Nov 29, 2012 #3
    Yes, I would agree with that since, as I said, reusing the x seems confusing.

5. Nov 29, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, you seem to understand it well enough. And yeah, maybe reusing the symbol is confusing. But {(a,b,0) ∈ F^3 | a,b ∈ F} and {(x,y,0) ∈ F^3 | x,y ∈ F} mean exactly the same thing. Some symbols are 'dummys'. They don't have any meaning outside of the thing they define.

6. Nov 29, 2012 #5
    I see what you mean Dick. The symbol x simply represents an arbitrary element of F in each case- not necessarily the same one. I guess it's a matter of preference. This must be what they refer to as developing mathematical maturity, heh heh.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook