Basic Math Problem of the Week 10/25/2017

• Challenge
  • Thread starter PF PotW Robot
  • Start date
In summary, the task is to find all real numbers k that would result in a cubic equation having positive integers as its three roots. This problem was posted on Math Help Boards and is open to solutions from both community members and invited members.
PF PotW Robot
Here is this week's basic math problem. We have several members who will check solutions, but we also welcome the community in general to step in. We also encourage finding different methods to the solution. If one has been found, see if there is another way. Using spoiler tags is optional. Occasionally there will be prizes for extraordinary or clever methods. Spoiler tags are optional.

Find all real numbers ##k## that give the three roots of the cubic equation ##5x^3-5(k+1)x^2+(71k-1)x-(66k-1)=0## are positive integers.

(PotW thanks to our friends at http://www.mathhelpboards.com/)

Likes QuantumQuest and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
PotW Tobor said:
Find all real numbers k that give the three roots of the cubic equation 5x3−5(k+1)x2+(71k−1)x−(66k−1)=05x^3-5(k+1)x^2+(71k-1)x-(66k-1)=0 are positive integers.
This problem statement does not parse into understandable English for me. Here is my guess about what it means.

The roots of the cubic equation are to be integers, and this is an additional constraint on the acceptable values of k besides that k must be a real number. Is this correct?

That’s how I interpreted it as well.

“Find all real numbers k such that ... has three positive integers as roots.”

Likes Buzz Bloom
Hello, PF community! :biggrin:

I was contacted by Greg, who let me know there was some confusion regarding this problem.

I posted that problem over at MHB, but I was standing in for our regular Secondary School POTW Director, and she provided the problem to me to post in her absence.

What you want to find is all values of ##k\in\mathbb{R}## such that the given cubic polynomial will have positive integers for all three of its roots.

Likes Buzz Bloom and Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the "Basic Math Problem of the Week"?

The "Basic Math Problem of the Week" is a weekly math problem that is designed to challenge and engage students in basic math concepts. It is typically used as a teaching tool or for practice and review.

2. What is the purpose of the "Basic Math Problem of the Week"?

The purpose of the "Basic Math Problem of the Week" is to help students develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a deeper understanding of basic math concepts. It also encourages students to practice and apply their math skills regularly.

3. How is the "Basic Math Problem of the Week" chosen?

The "Basic Math Problem of the Week" is carefully selected by a team of math educators to ensure that it aligns with the curriculum and learning objectives. The problem is also designed to be challenging yet manageable for students at the designated grade level.

4. Who can participate in the "Basic Math Problem of the Week"?

The "Basic Math Problem of the Week" is open to all students, regardless of their age or grade level. However, it is typically used in elementary, middle, and high school classrooms as a supplemental learning activity.

5. Are there any rewards or prizes for solving the "Basic Math Problem of the Week"?

While there may be incentives or rewards offered by individual teachers or schools, the main purpose of the "Basic Math Problem of the Week" is to provide students with an opportunity to practice and improve their math skills. The satisfaction of solving the problem and the knowledge gained from it are the ultimate rewards.