Basic Math Problem of the Week 11/09/2017

• Challenge
  • Thread starter PF PotW Robot
  • Start date
In summary, the given problem involves evaluating the expression cos^3(2pi/7) + cos^3(4pi/7) + cos^3(8pi/7) without using a calculator. After some trial and error, it was found that the sum of these cosines can be simplified using the identity cos^2(x) = 1/2(1+cos(2x)). This led to the solution in terms of the trace of a companion matrix, which was further simplified using facts from polynomial and matrix theory. The final answer was found to be -1/2.
PF PotW Robot
Here is this week's basic math problem. We have several members who will check solutions, but we also welcome the community in general to step in. We also encourage finding different methods to the solution. If one has been found, see if there is another way. Using spoiler tags is optional. Occasionally there will be prizes for extraordinary or clever methods.

Without using a calculator, evaluate $$\cos^3 \left(\dfrac{2\pi}{7}\right)+\cos^3 \left(\dfrac{4\pi}{7}\right)+\cos^3 \left(\dfrac{8\pi}{7}\right)$$

(PotW thanks to our friends at http://www.mathhelpboards.com/)

Likes Charles Link
Physics news on Phys.org
I did a numerical check of the expression and got a value of -0.5 so that means there is some elegant way of simplifying it.

Likes QuantumQuest and Charles Link
And the angles sum up to a full circle. I tried ##4\cos^3 \varphi= 3\cos \varphi + \cos 3 \varphi## to get rid of the powers, but I'm missing the clue. The sum becomes with this formula
$$
\cos^3 \dfrac{2}{7}\pi + \cos^3 \dfrac{4}{7}\pi + \cos^3 \dfrac{8}{7}\pi = \cos \dfrac{2}{7}\pi + \cos \dfrac{4}{7}\pi + \cos \dfrac{8}{7}\pi
$$
I assume the rest can be done by ##\cos \varphi = \dfrac{1}{2} (\exp i\varphi + \exp -i\varphi)##.

Last edited:
Likes QuantumQuest and Charles Link
fresh_42 said:
And the angles sum up to a full circle. I tried ##4\cos^3 \varphi= 3\cos \varphi + \cos 3 \varphi## to get rid of the powers, but I'm missing the clue. The sum becomes with this formula
$$
\cos^3 \dfrac{2}{7}\pi + \cos^3 \dfrac{4}{7}\pi + \cos^3 \dfrac{8}{7}\pi = \cos \dfrac{2}{7}\pi + \cos \dfrac{4}{7}\pi + \cos \dfrac{8}{7}\pi
$$
I assume the rest can be done by ##\cos \varphi = \dfrac{1}{2} (\exp i\varphi + \exp -i\varphi)##.
@fresh_42 That is very helpful. A google of cos(2 pi /7) showed a couple of identities with expressions like the one that you have that are solved by multiplying by ## \frac{\sin(\pi/7)}{\sin(\pi/7)} ##. See the video: ## \\ ## Additional comment:Our equation has an ## 8 \pi/7 ## instead of the ## 6 \pi/7 ## in the video. This makes the last terms in our case ## \sin(9 \pi /7)-\sin(7 \pi/7) ## . We have ## \sin(9 \pi /7)=-\sin(5 \pi/7) ##, so the results are identical.

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42, QuantumQuest and jedishrfu
That’s a nice video And the solution is quite elegant.

Likes Charles Link
Here is my approach:

let

##\lambda_1 = cos\big(\frac{2}{7}\pi\big)##
##\lambda_2 = cos\big(\frac{4}{7}\pi\big)##
##\lambda_3 = cos\big(\frac{8}{7}\pi\big)##

- - - -
key idea: symmetry

note ##cos(a)## obeys the identity: ##cos^2(a) = \frac{1}{2}\big(1+ cos(2a)\big)##

so if we apply this to each ##\lambda##, we get:
##\lambda_1^2 = \frac{1}{2}\big(1+ \lambda_2\big)##
##\lambda_2^2 = \frac{1}{2}\big(1+ \lambda_3\big)##
##\lambda_3^2 = \frac{1}{2}\big(1+ \lambda_1\big)##

Also noting that each ##\lambda_k## is the cosine of some multiple of pi, where each multiple is *not* a natural number, we know that ##\big \vert \lambda_k \big \vert \lt 1## for ##k \in \{1,2,3\}## -- i.e. each lambda has magnitude of less than one.

as mentioned by @fresh_42 we know that

##\lambda_1 + \lambda_2 + \lambda_3 = \lambda_1^3 + \lambda_2^3 + \lambda_3^3##

(which translates to the relation below)

##trace\big(\mathbf C\big) = trace\big(\mathbf C^3\big)##

- - - -
Solution:
From here I just beat this problem with a hammer using some facts from polynomial and matrix theory -- specifically things related to symmetric sums.

These ##\lambda##'s are all real numbers -- let them be interpreted as roots to some polynomial in monic form, i.e.

##p(x) = x^3 + a_2 x^2 + a_1 x + a_0 = (x- \lambda_1)(x- \lambda_2)(x-\lambda_3)##

We can encode this polynomial in the companion matrix ##\mathbf C##.

we know that

##a_2 = -trace\big(\mathbf C\big)##Newton's Identities (or just mechanical manipulation of the companion matrix) tell us that

##a_1 = -\frac{1}{2}\Big(a_2 trace\big(\mathbf C\big) + trace\big(\mathbf C^2\big)\Big) = -\frac{1}{2}\Big( -trace\big(\mathbf C\big)^2 + trace\big(\mathbf C^2\big)\Big) = \frac{1}{2} trace\big(\mathbf C\big)^2 - \frac{1}{2} trace\big(\mathbf C^2\big) ##

but we also know that ##a_1## is a symmetric function given by

##a_1 = \lambda_1\lambda_2 + \lambda_2\lambda_3 + \lambda_1\lambda_3##

Now the symmetry exploit creeps in:

##trace\big(\mathbf C^3\big) = \lambda_1^3 + \lambda_2^3 + \lambda_3^3 = \lambda_1(\lambda_1^2) + \lambda_2(\lambda_2^2) + \lambda_3(\lambda_3^2) = \lambda_1\big(\frac{1}{2}( 1 + \lambda_2)\big) + \lambda_2\big(\frac{1}{2}( 1 + \lambda_3)\big) + \lambda_3\big(\frac{1}{2}( 1 + \lambda_1)\big) ####trace\big(\mathbf C\big) = trace\big(\mathbf C^3\big) = \frac{1}{2}\big(\lambda_1\lambda_2 + \lambda_2\lambda_3 + \lambda_3 \lambda_1\big) +\frac{1}{2}\big(\lambda_1 + \lambda_2+ \lambda_3 \big) = \frac{1}{2}\big(\lambda_1\lambda_2 + \lambda_2\lambda_3 + \lambda_3 \lambda_1\big) +\frac{1}{2}trace\big(\mathbf C \big)##

##\frac{1}{2} trace\big(\mathbf C\big) = \frac{1}{2} \big(\lambda_1\lambda_2 + \lambda_2\lambda_3 + \lambda_3 \lambda_1\big)##

## trace\big(\mathbf C\big) = a_1 = trace\big(\mathbf C^3\big)##

using the Newton identity, this gives us:

##a_1 = trace\big(\mathbf C\big) = \frac{1}{2} trace\big(\mathbf C\big)^2 - \frac{1}{2} trace\big(\mathbf C^2\big) ##

- - - -

and we just need to make ##trace\big(\mathbf C^2\big)## 'go away'.

To finish this off, we examine the eigenvalue representation of ##trace\big(\mathbf C^2\big)## and again apply the symmetry exploit:

##trace\big(\mathbf C^2\big) = \lambda_1^2 + \lambda_2^2 + \lambda_3^2 = \frac{1}{2}\big(1 + \lambda_2\big) + \frac{1}{2}\big(1 + \lambda_3\big) + \frac{1}{2}\big(1 + \lambda_1\big) = \frac{3}{2} +\frac{1}{2}\big(trace\big(\mathbf C\big)\big)##

Now make the substitution into our equation from the Newton Identity.

##a_1 = trace\big(\mathbf C\big) = \frac{1}{2} trace\big(\mathbf C\big)^2 - \frac{1}{2} \Big(trace\big(\mathbf C^2\big)\Big) = \frac{1}{2} trace\big(\mathbf C\big)^2- \frac{1}{2}\Big( \frac{3}{2} +\frac{1}{2}trace\big(\mathbf C\big)\Big) ##

multiply everything by 2

##2 a_1 = a_1^2- \Big( \frac{3}{2} +\frac{1}{2}a_1 \Big) ##

##0 = a_1^2 - \frac{5}{2}a_1 - \frac{3}{2}##

And we can eyeball the trace and determinant of such an equation as having roots of ##-\frac{1}{2}## and ##3##. Because each ##\lambda## has magnitude less than one, by triangle inequality, we know

##\big \vert \lambda_1 + \lambda_2 + \lambda_3 \big \vert\leq \big \vert \lambda_1\big \vert + \big \vert\lambda_2\big \vert + \big \vert\lambda_3\big \vert \lt 3##

and hence we throw out the root of 3.

We keep the root of

##-\frac{1}{2} = a_1 = trace\big(\mathbf C\big) =trace\big(\mathbf C^3\big) = \lambda_1^3 + \lambda_2^3 + \lambda_3^3##

as our answer, which completes the proof.

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link and jim mcnamara

Related to Basic Math Problem of the Week 11/09/2017

What is the "Basic Math Problem of the Week" for 11/09/2017?

The "Basic Math Problem of the Week" for 11/09/2017 is a weekly math problem that is posted on a specific date for students to solve and submit their answers.

What level of math is the "Basic Math Problem of the Week" aimed at?

The "Basic Math Problem of the Week" is aimed at students who are learning basic math skills, typically in elementary or middle school.

How do I submit my answer for the "Basic Math Problem of the Week"?

You can submit your answer by following the instructions provided with the problem, which may include emailing your answer or submitting it through an online form.

Are there any prizes for solving the "Basic Math Problem of the Week" correctly?

This may vary depending on the source of the "Basic Math Problem of the Week." Some may offer prizes for correct answers, while others may simply provide recognition or a sense of accomplishment for solving the problem.

Where can I find the solution to the "Basic Math Problem of the Week" for 11/09/2017?

The solution to the "Basic Math Problem of the Week" for 11/09/2017 can typically be found on the same source where the problem was posted, such as a website or social media page.