Basic PDE Help: Simplifying the Confusing Concepts | MathBin

• Thread starter jomomma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, the conversation is about a user seeking help with a mathematical problem involving a partial differential equation. They have attempted to solve it using characteristics, but are confused about the term involving the variable z. Other users offer suggestions and finally the original user presents their solution for verification. The final solution provided is u(x,y,z)=\varphi(xe^{-z},ye^{-2z})e^{3z}.
jomomma
http://mathbin.net/906

cant figure this one out

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

jomomma said:
[tex] x\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+2y\frac{\partial u}{\partial y} + \frac{\partial u}{\partial z} = 3u[/tex]

cant figure this one out

Hi jomomma! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(type "tex" instead of "EQ" on this forum :wink:)

What have you tried?:smile:

What do you mean by "figure this out"? Did you stare at it expecting the answer to suddenly pop into your head or did you DO something like writing down the equations of the characteristics?

If the latter, please show us what you did!

I tried doing characteristics but i am getting confused with the [tex]u_z[/tex] term. Heres what i do

[tex]

\[
\frac{dx}{dt}&=&x\Rightarrow x=x_0e^t
\]
\[
\frac{dy}{dt}&=&2y\Rightarrow y=y_0e^2t
\]
\[
\frac{dz}{dt}&=&1\Rightarrow z=z_0 + t
\]
\[
\frac{du}{dt}&=&3u\Rightarrow u=u_0e^3t
\]

[/tex]

from there i try to put [tex]y[/tex] and [tex]x[/tex] into the equation for [tex]u[/tex]

[tex]
u=xy=x_0y_0e^3t
[/tex]

what do i do with [tex]z[/tex] and [tex]\varphi(x,y)[/tex]

Last edited:
could someone verify whether the correct answer is

[tex]

u(x,y,z)=\varphi(xe^{-z},ye^{-2z})e^{3z}

[/tex]

Can't you plug it in and check like you would with any DE?

yes, i can and i have, but i wanted third party confirmation, because i may not have included all solutions or may have made a mistake

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is an equation that involves partial derivatives of a multivariate function. It is used to describe physical phenomena such as heat flow, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetic fields.

2. Why is it important to understand basic PDEs?

Basic PDEs are essential for understanding many real-world problems in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They provide a mathematical framework for modeling and analyzing complex systems and phenomena.

3. What are some common techniques for solving basic PDEs?

Some common techniques for solving basic PDEs include separation of variables, method of characteristics, and numerical methods such as finite difference and finite element methods.

4. Can you give an example of a basic PDE and its solution?

A simple example of a basic PDE is the heat equation, which describes the distribution of heat in a given region over time. Its solution can be found using the method of separation of variables, resulting in a solution that is a combination of sines and cosines.

5. What are some resources for learning more about basic PDEs?

There are many resources available for learning more about basic PDEs, including textbooks, online courses, and video lectures. Some popular resources include "Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers" by Stanley J. Farlow and "A First Course in Partial Differential Equations" by H. F. Weinberger.