Solutions to PDE: Understanding and Simplifying the Process

• Thread starter AntSC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, you can solve the PDE for u by substituting y=\sinh \theta for y in the original equation. This gives x\ln \left | \cosh \theta \right | + f\left ( x \right ) as the solution.
AntSC
I have seen a couple of solutions to this PDE -

[itex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial u}=\frac{x}{\sqrt{1+y^{2}}}[/itex]

One is -

[itex]u=\ln \left | y+\sqrt{1+y^{2}} \right |+f\left ( x \right )[/itex]

I have no idea how this is arrived at or if it's correct. This is what i want to know.

The solution I've checked out makes the substitution of [itex]y=\sinh \theta [/itex] giving -

[itex]u=x\ln \left | \cosh \theta \right | + f\left ( x \right )[/itex]

which is where I'm a bit stuck as substituting in [itex]\theta =\sinh^{-1} y[/itex] gives a [itex]\cosh \sinh^{-1} y[/itex] term that i don't know how to simpify.

Any help with both of these would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
AntSC said:
I have seen a couple of solutions to this PDE -

[itex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial u}=\frac{x}{\sqrt{1+y^{2}}}[/itex]
I am confused by your notation. You have x differentiated with respect to u but on the right both x and y. If you really mean what you have, it is not a "partial" differential equation at all. We are thinking of x as a function of u, with y a fixed parameter. Further that is a separable equation: [itex]dx/du= x\sqrt{1+ y^2}[/itex] gives
[tex]\frac{dx}{x}= \frac{du}{\sqrt{1+ y^2}}[/tex]
[tex]ln|x|= \frac{u}{\sqrt{1+ y^2}}+ c[/tex]
[tex]x= Ce^{\frac{u}{\sqrt{1+ y^2}}}[/tex]
where [itex]C= e^c[/itex].

One is -

[itex]u=\ln \left | y+\sqrt{1+y^{2}} \right |+f\left ( x \right )[/itex]

I have no idea how this is arrived at or if it's correct. This is what i want to know.

The solution I've checked out makes the substitution of [itex]y=\sinh \theta [/itex] giving -

[itex]u=x\ln \left | \cosh \theta \right | + f\left ( x \right )[/itex]

which is where I'm a bit stuck as substituting in [itex]\theta =\sinh^{-1} y[/itex] gives a [itex]\cosh \sinh^{-1} y[/itex] term that i don't know how to simpify.

Any help with both of these would be appreciated
Your original equation treats x as a function of u but your answer gives u as a function of x. Which is intended? if the latter, then
[tex]\frac{du}{dx}= \frac{\sqrt{1+ y^2}}{x}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{du}{\sqrt{1+ y^2}}= \frac{dx}{x}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{u}{\sqrt{1+ y^2}}= ln|x|+ C[/tex]
[tex]u= (ln|x|+ C)\sqrt{1+y^2}[/tex]
essentially just solving the previous equation for u.

Sorry, I've written the dependent and independent variables the wrong way round and got the independent variable wrong. It's been a long week!

It should be -

[itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=\frac{x}{\sqrt{1+y^{2}}}[/itex]

for a function [itex]u\left ( x,y,z \right )[/itex]

There will be a constant term in the form [itex]f\left ( x,z \right )[/itex] in addition to whatever the result of the integration yields (which i can't work out).

Last edited:
Since there is no differentation with respect to x, you can treat x as a parameter:
[tex]\frac{du}{dy}= \frac{x}{\sqrt{1+ y^2}}[/tex]
is separable
[tex]du= x\frac{dy}{\sqrt{1+ y^2}}[/tex]

I've managed to get it sussed. Thanks everyone for the help. Even if it was for me to see that I've written the question down wrong! :smile:

Related to Solutions to PDE: Understanding and Simplifying the Process

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is an equation that involves partial derivatives of a function in multiple variables. It is used to model and solve problems in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. What are the different types of PDEs?

There are three main types of PDEs: elliptic, parabolic, and hyperbolic. Elliptic PDEs are used to model steady-state problems, while parabolic PDEs are used for problems that involve time-dependent phenomena. Hyperbolic PDEs are used to model problems with wave-like behavior.

3. How do you solve a PDE?

The solution to a PDE can be found by using various techniques such as separation of variables, method of characteristics, or numerical methods. The specific method used depends on the type of PDE and its boundary conditions.

4. Are there any real-world applications of PDEs?

Yes, PDEs are used to model and solve a wide range of real-world problems, such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetic fields. They are also used in financial mathematics, image processing, and many other fields.

5. Can any PDE be solved analytically?

No, not all PDEs have analytical solutions. In fact, most PDEs do not have closed-form solutions and require numerical methods for approximation. However, some special types of PDEs, such as linear and separable PDEs, can be solved analytically.