1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic python stuff in 1st/2nd year physics)

1. Mar 25, 2010 #1
    I have never done any programming (except very basic python stuff in 1st/2nd year physics), and I wanna learn some a bit more in depth over the summer. Can anyone recommend which programming language I should learn? What's most-widely used for physics/astrophysics?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2010 #2

eri

Re: Programming?

C or C++ are probably the most widely used, but it varies a lot by specific field. Right now IDL (a commercial programming language, so it's not free, based loosely on Fortran) is popular in astronomy and astrophysics. But the idea is to learn how to program, and then you just need to learn the syntax for a new language. So C, C++, even Perl would be fine for that, and there are a lot of good introductory books out there (and websites) to get you started.

4. Mar 25, 2010 #3

Cod

I wouldn't spend much time worrying about which language to use. You need to learn how to program. What I mean by that, is you need to focus specifically on programming techniques and practices since they translate into all languages. There is a great book titled "Code Complete" that covers all sorts of things related to the art of programming while focusing on a few popular languages (C++, C#, and JAVA are the ones I can think of right now). Definitely worth picking up if your interested in programming for hobby or career.

A link to the book: https://www.amazon.com/Code-Complet...TF8&coliid=I3ISLWUE1ARCH5&colid=3PFMFPZ2OMSQJ

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  5. Mar 27, 2010 #4

Squeak: Learn Programming with Robots by St├ęphane Ducasse

6. Mar 27, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

7. Mar 28, 2010 #6
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook