Basic Question in Mechanical Engineering

In summary, the force exerted by the bar AD, TAD, is not considered in the free body diagram, but when you examine the bar DFG, it is considered in the free body diagram.
Guni22
In this question and solution:

http://imgur.com/Z8DMo

Why is it that when we examine the bar BCD, the force exerted by the bar AD, TAD , is not considered in the free body diagram, but when you examine the bar DFG, it is considered in the free body diagram?

Physics news on Phys.org
Because T is an internal force on the object when you are considering ADG. When you consider BCD or DFG, it is external and you would consider it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply,

Am I missing something, or is it not being considered as an external force for the case of BCD. All I see is Dx and Dy, and I'm wondering why T isn't there.

It gets confusing when 3 or more members frame into a single joint. At joint D, when looking at a free body of DFG, T_AD is the force from AD and Dx, Dy are the force components from member BCD, acting at Joint D. The force at joint D on member DFG is thus, in the x direction , T_AD sin alpha + Dx, and in the y direction , T_AD cos alpha + Dy

Now in looking at member DCB, at joint D, T_AD is the force from AD and , and the force from DFG, from above, in the x direction, is (T_AD sin alpha + Dx), and in the y direction, (T_AD cos alpha + Dy). Thus the force acting on DCB in the x direction is (T_AD sin alpha + Dx) - T_AD sin alpha = Dx, and in the y direction, (T_Ad cos alpha + Dy) - T_AD cos alpha = Dy.

It is important to note that Dx and Dy are the forces in member DCB at joint D. They are NOT the forces in member DFG at joint D.

Also it should be noted that member AD is a 2-force member.

Watch directions of forces per Newton 3.

Wow thank you for replying, I thought this thread was dead.

So, I'm trying to generalize what you said. When 3 or more members frame into a single joint, the force contributed by each member is considered in the free body diagram of every other member (with flipped directions)?

Edit:
And I'd imagine forces often "cancel" out in these cases, like it did with there being no apparent T_AD on the free body diagram of member BCD.

Last edited:
I should emphasize that the solution given in Post 1 is correct.

When you first draw the FBD of horizontal member DFG, the forces at Joint D acting on it are the member forces from AD, which the solution calls T_AB sin alpha and T_AB cos alpha, and the forces from vertical member BCD , which the solution calls Dx and Dy.
Now when you look at a FBD of member BCD, you have already defined the forces on it as Dx and Dy, so there is no need to look at T_AD acting on it plus the forces in DFG acting on it (which i'll call Px and Py). If you did look at all individual forces acting on it, you'd have T_AD sin alpha and T_AD cos alpha from member AD, and Px and Py from member DFG. But the net force from those 2 members is just Dx and Dy, so don't go through that extra step.

Thank you =)

1. What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, analysis, and manufacturing of mechanical systems. It involves the use of principles from physics, materials science, and mathematics to create and improve machines, structures, and systems that are used in various industries.

2. What are the fundamental concepts in mechanical engineering?

The fundamental concepts in mechanical engineering include mechanics, thermodynamics, materials science, and kinematics. These concepts are used to analyze and design mechanical systems and understand their behavior.

3. What are the common tools used in mechanical engineering?

Some common tools used in mechanical engineering include computer-aided design (CAD) software, computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) software, finite element analysis (FEA) software, and various hand and power tools for prototyping and testing. Other tools such as 3D printers and laser cutters are also becoming increasingly popular in the field.

4. What are the career opportunities in mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering offers a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as automotive, aerospace, energy, manufacturing, and robotics. Some common job roles include design engineer, project manager, research engineer, and production engineer. Mechanical engineers are also highly sought after in the field of renewable energy and sustainability.

5. What skills are necessary for a successful career in mechanical engineering?

Some essential skills for a successful career in mechanical engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, creativity and innovation, attention to detail, and the ability to work in a team. Good communication and project management skills are also important for roles that involve working with clients and managing projects.