Basics of using the isolating transformer

In summary, use a 1:1:1 transformer designed to operate in the frequency band for differential signals.
meereck
Hello, I have a differential signal going into an instrumentation amplifier (AD620).
I would like to employ galvanic isolation on the inputs of AD620.
Would anyone be so kind and tell me how it shall be wired?
I don't know much about signal isolation. Shall 1:1 or 1:1:1 transformer be used?
Can I also employ transils for protection - where to place them?

Thanks in advance,
regards Meereck

Engineering news on Phys.org
We need to know a little more about what the input signal looks like. What's it amplitude and frequency, etc.

hello, differentially, it is basically a sine wave in the range between 50-100kHz
Amplitude about 0.5 Volts. I use AD620 for amplifying the signal.
thanks, M.

Last edited:
meereck said:
hello, differentially, it is basically a sine wave in the range between 50-100kHz
thanks, M.

50Hz-100kHz, or 50kHz-100kHz? It makes a big difference. If b), then you can use a 1:1 transformer designed to operate in that frequency band. If a), then you will not be able to use a transformer for such a wide range of frequencies. Instead, you would probably be better off isolating the full input amp & ADC circuit, and optically communicating with the ADC to get the data.

How about a linear optoisolator?

Pumblechook said:
How about a linear optoisolator?

Optos aren't linear, generally aren't used for analog coupling. Digitizing first and sending the digital date through an opto would be fairly common.

There were some linear optos a while back (maybe from Linear Technology?), but I don't think they found any volume applications. Pretty pricey chips, as I recall.

Agilent make some.

http://dev.emcelettronica.com/voltage-conversions-galvanic-isolation

3.7 Euros in France..

HCNR201

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys for ideas,
the frequency will be 50kHz-100kHz.
I read something about using 1:1:1 transformer for differential signals. Does it make any difference?
Should some decoupling capacitors be used?
have a nice weekend.
M.

1. What is an isolating transformer?

An isolating transformer is a type of transformer that is used to isolate a circuit from the main power supply. It works by providing electrical isolation between the input and output of the transformer, ensuring that there is no direct connection between the two circuits.

2. Why is an isolating transformer important to use?

An isolating transformer is important because it helps to protect equipment and individuals from electric shocks. It also helps to eliminate the risk of ground loop currents and can improve the quality of the power supply by reducing noise and interference.

3. How does an isolating transformer work?

An isolating transformer works by using two separate windings, one for the input and one for the output, that are not connected to each other. The input winding receives the main power supply, while the output winding provides the isolated power to the circuit. This prevents any direct electrical connection between the two circuits.

4. What are the main applications of an isolating transformer?

Isolating transformers are commonly used in medical facilities, laboratories, and other environments where electrical safety is crucial. They are also used in audio and video equipment to eliminate noise and interference, and in industrial settings to protect equipment from power surges and ground loops.

5. Is it necessary to use an isolating transformer for all equipment?

No, it is not necessary to use an isolating transformer for all equipment. However, it is recommended for sensitive equipment or in situations where electrical safety is a concern. It is important to assess the specific needs of your equipment and environment to determine if an isolating transformer is necessary.