Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basics of using the isolating transformer

1. Sep 18, 2008 #1
    Hello, I have a differential signal going into an instrumentation amplifier (AD620).
    I would like to employ galvanic isolation on the inputs of AD620.
    Would anyone be so kind and tell me how it shall be wired?
    I dont know much about signal isolation. Shall 1:1 or 1:1:1 transformer be used?
    Can I also employ transils for protection - where to place them?

Thanks in advance,
    regards Meereck
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We need to know a little more about what the input signal looks like. What's it amplitude and frequency, etc.
  4. Sep 19, 2008 #3
    hello, differentially, it is basically a sine wave in the range between 50-100kHz
    Amplitude about 0.5 Volts. I use AD620 for amplifying the signal.
    thanks, M.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  5. Sep 19, 2008 #4

Staff: Mentor

50Hz-100kHz, or 50kHz-100kHz? It makes a big difference. If b), then you can use a 1:1 transformer designed to operate in that frequency band. If a), then you will not be able to use a transformer for such a wide range of frequencies. Instead, you would probably be better off isolating the full input amp & ADC circuit, and optically communicating with the ADC to get the data.
  6. Sep 19, 2008 #5
    How about a linear optoisolator?
  7. Sep 19, 2008 #6

Staff: Mentor

Optos aren't linear, generally aren't used for analog coupling. Digitizing first and sending the digital date through an opto would be fairly common.

There were some linear optos a while back (maybe from Linear Technology?), but I don't think they found any volume applications. Pretty pricey chips, as I recall.
  8. Sep 19, 2008 #7
  9. Sep 20, 2008 #8
    thanks guys for ideas,
    the frequency will be 50kHz-100kHz.
    I read something about using 1:1:1 transformer for differential signals. Does it make any difference?
    Should some decoupling capacitors be used?
    have a nice weekend.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?