Isolation transformer questions

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an isolation transformer for safety purposes in designing a circuit to be hooked up to mains AC. The transformer serves to galvanically isolate the circuit from the power line conductor, which can be dangerous if touched while in contact with ground. The current draw on the input side is typically equal to the secondary load current and can be calculated using Ohm's law and the impedance of the primary inductor.
NwcNlgUfh2
Hi
I'm trying to design a circuit to be hooked upto mains ac, and it was recommended that I should use an isolation transformer for safety purposes. 1) what purpose does this server, I know that it allows power to pass without the circuits being joined, but what affect does that have/why is it considered a safety feature. 2) what is the current draw on the input side, is it found by ohms law and using the impedance of the primary inductor (V/impedance=current) or how else?

Engineering news on Phys.org
cooleb09 said:
Hi
I'm trying to design a circuit to be hooked upto mains ac, and it was recommended that I should use an isolation transformer for safety purposes. 1) what purpose does this server, I know that it allows power to pass without the circuits being joined, but what affect does that have/why is it considered a safety feature. 2) what is the current draw on the input side, is it found by ohms law and using the impedance of the primary inductor (V/impedance=current) or how else?
Isolation transformer purpose is to galvanically isolate circuit (chassis, circuit load etc) from the power line conductor. Power line conductor is usually earthed and if person or any object directly touches it while being in contact with ground, the return path for current is provided. Note isolation transformers don't reduce danger IF the contact is made across their secondary winding. Normally they have 1:1 turns ratio and the current drawn is essentially equal to the secondary load current.

Likes NwcNlgUfh2

1. What is an isolation transformer?

An isolation transformer is a type of transformer that is used to transfer electrical power from one circuit to another, while isolating the two circuits completely from each other. It provides electrical isolation and protects against electric shocks and short circuits.

2. What are the benefits of using an isolation transformer?

There are several benefits of using an isolation transformer. It can help prevent electric shocks and is commonly used in medical equipment to protect patients. It also helps to reduce electrical noise and interference, improving the overall quality of the electrical signal.

3. How does an isolation transformer work?

An isolation transformer works by using two separate coils of wire, the primary and secondary, that are not electrically connected. The primary coil is connected to the power source and creates a magnetic field that induces a current in the secondary coil, transferring the electrical power. The two circuits are isolated by the air gap between the two coils.

4. When should an isolation transformer be used?

An isolation transformer should be used in situations where there is a risk of electric shock or where there is the potential for high levels of electrical noise and interference. It is commonly used in medical, industrial, and audio equipment.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when using an isolation transformer?

Yes, there are some safety precautions that should be taken when using an isolation transformer. It is important to ensure that the transformer is properly grounded and that all connections are secure. It is also important to follow proper safety procedures when handling electricity and to regularly inspect the transformer for any signs of damage or wear.