1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basis for the image of a surjective linear map.

1. Jun 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let V and W be vector spaces over F, and let T: V -> W be a surjective (onto) linear map. Suppose that {v1, ..., v_m, u1, ... , u_n} is a basis for V such that ker(T) = span({u1, ... , u_n}). Show that {T(v1), ... , T(v_m)} is a basis for W.

2. Relevant equations
    Basic properties of linear maps. Linear independence.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have already proven that {T(v1), ... , T(v_m)} spans W, which I thought would be harder than showing linear independence. But here is where I am confused. We have to show that {T(v1), ... , T(v_m)} is linearly independent.

Suppose (a_1)T(v1) + ... + (a_m)T(v_m) = 0 for (a_1), ... (a_m) in F. Then
    T( (a_1)(v1) + ... + (a_m)(v_m) ) = 0 since T is linear. Now if we also suppose that (a_1)(v1) + ... + (a_m)(v_m) = 0, then clearly (a_1) = (a_2) = ... = (a_m) = 0 since the set {v_1, ... , v_m} is linearly independent.

But I think I'm confused when (a_1)(v1) + ... + (a_m)(v_m) =/= 0 (which is certainly possible right?). However, I have an idea and I think that in this case, we still get (a_1) = ... = (a_m) = 0?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2009 #2
    well, if T(w)=0 then w is in the KerT, so we can write this as a linear combination of the u's.

you shouldn't need any more of a hint than this.

4. Jun 5, 2009 #3
    Thanks xao, I think that was exactly what I had in mind (and I should have sorted out this case before I made the post). Basically then, setting a linear combination of the v's equal to a linear combination of the u's implies (by isolating 0 on one side) that all coefficients of vectors are 0.

5. Jun 5, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sorry, I misread the problem.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  6. Jun 5, 2009 #5
    But ker(T) = {0} if and only if T is injective, and surjectivity does not rule out the possibility that a nonzero vector is mapped to the 0 vector.

And just to clarify, the u's xao is talking about are also in the linearly independent set (consisting of v1 to v_m and u1 to u_n, sorry for not using latex). So currently my proof of linear independence looks like this:

Suppose

[itex]
    a_1T(v_1)+ a_2T(v_2)+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_mT(v_m)= T(a_1v_1+ a_2v_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_mv_m)= 0[/itex]

But kert(T) = span({u1, ... , u_n}), so we can write
    [itex]a_1v_1+ a_2v_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_mv_m = b_1u_1+ b_2v_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ b_nu_n.[/itex]

Then
    [itex]a_1v_1+ a_2v_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_mv_m = b_1u_1 - b_2v_2 - \cdot\cdot\cdot - b_nu_n = 0[/itex]

and it follows that [itex]a_1 = a_2 = \cdot\cdot\cdot= a_m = 0[/itex].

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  7. Jun 6, 2009 #6
    i'm hoping that '=' was a typo in the last step.

it looks like the dimension of V is m+n (the v's plus u's) while the dimension of W is m, so a surjective map only needs m (the v's) of the m+n basis vectors. that leaves n basis vectors (the u's) spanning KerT to map onto the zero of W.

8. Jun 7, 2009 #7
    Yeah sorry I really screwed up the latex on that last line. It should read

Then

[itex]
    a_1v_1+ a_2v_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_mv_m - b_1u_1 - b_2u_2 - \cdot\cdot\cdot - b_nu_n = 0
    [/itex]

so the conclusion follows.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook