1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basis functions of a differential equation, given boundary conditions

1. Mar 19, 2012 #1
    First off, I've never taken a differential equations class. This is for my Math Methods for Physicists class, and we are on the topic of DE. Unfortunately, we didn't cover this much, so most of what I am about to show you comes from the professor giving me tips and my own common sense. I'd really like to learn this stuff, but I have no idea what I am doing.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the basis functions that result from the differential equation u''(x)=-k^2u(x) and these boundary conditions:

u(0)=u(L)
    u'(0)=u'(L)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't know how to code in Latex yet, so forgive me for having to use a picture of my work thus far. Again, most of this is from other's help and common sense. I couldn't begin to explain what is going on here, or its uses.

Since the image is too big to be displayed, here is the link to it on my imgur account: http://imgur.com/D8B3U

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since [itex]e^{ikx}= cos(kx)+ i sin(kx)[/itex] and [itex]e^{-ikx}= cos(kx)- i sin(kx)[/itex], you can use as your "basis functions" cos(kx) and sin(kx) rather than [itex]e^{ikx}[/itex] and [itex]e^{-ikx}[/itex]. (That is normally done when all your conditions are in terms of real numbers.)

4. Mar 19, 2012 #3
    I was originally going to do that (and basically ended up doing that anyways), but he told me I should use complex-exponentials instead.

What I ended up with was:

[itex]u(x)=A \times Cos[(\frac{n \pi}{L}) x][/itex]

I wish I had followed my gut instinct instead...Thanks for the help. I don't see a +reputation button (like on other forums), but I appreciate the help.

I only have one more question: What was the purpose in all of this? What's the end result? I understand that the boundary conditions essentially setup a periodic function (looks a lot like the spring equation), but what does [itex]u(x)[/itex] really mean? And why doesn't B matter?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook