1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bayesian probability: The lighthouse problem

1. Jan 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all.

Please take a look at this problem: http://web.gps.caltech.edu/classes/ge193/practicals/practical3/Lighthouse.pdf

I am stuck at question 2 and 3. For question 1 I get the following:

[tex]
    d_k = \beta \tan(\theta_k)+\alpha.
    [/tex]

For question 2 and 3, I know I have to use Bayes' sentence for probability density functions (PDF's), so for question 2 I get:

[tex]
    p(\theta_k\,\, |\,\, \alpha, \beta) = \frac{p(\alpha,\beta\,\,|\,\,\theta_k)\pi^{-1}}{C},
    [/tex]

where C is some constant that normalizes the PDF and I have assumed that the prior probability on [itex]\theta_k[/itex] is [itex]\pi^{-1}[/itex] (I was told to do this).

Could you guys tell me, what the next step is?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
    Niles.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2009 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

You're not supposed to use Bayes' theorem for #2. The answer to #2 is given by the statement that the pulses are emitted at "random azimuths". This presumably means that [itex]\theta_k[/itex] is uniformly distributed between 0 and [itex]2\pi[/itex].

4. Jan 17, 2009 #3
    Thanks! I'll keep working on it from here.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?