1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bead on the uniformly rotating wire

1. Jan 5, 2012 #1
    "bead sliding on the uniformly rotating frictionless wire in free space" is the standard problem solved in Goldstein's classical mechanics book. The bead moves in outward direction (a=rω2) still why it is called as centripetal acceleration and not centrifugal?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2012 #2
    no answer in one month ????

4. Jan 27, 2012 #3
    I am not familiar with you reference book.
    What I can say is that centripetal force is the resultant force towards the centre of a circle ON the object in circular motion.
    Centrifugal force is an outwards force and as an example: a stone on a string being swung in a circle, I would say the centrifugal force is the outwards force experienced by the hand at the other end of the string to the stone. It is the outwards force experienced by the person holding the string.
    This is probably not a rigorous definition but I hope that it is good enough to provide food for thought !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook