Beam bending of an angled flat plate

In summary, the first method gives lower stresses (more stiff). The second method is right, but I cannot explain why the first method is wrong.
lordvon
Hello everyone,
I am wondering how to properly go about calculating the stresses caused by bending on an angled flat plate. Two approaches seem valid but they give much different results:
-Calculate the new area moments of inertia for the angled flat plate (new Ixx, ymax).
-Resolve the moments into parallel and perpendicular components, then add the calculated stresses from the principal area moments of intertia (Ixx, Iyy).

I wrote a short script to compare the resulting stresses from these two methods and they give answers that are different by one or two orders of magnitude. The first method gives lower stresses (more stiff).
I cannot reason how which method is right. I do believe the second method is right, but I cannot explain why the first method is wrong. I know I am missing something with the first method.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Here's how I did the first method, maybe they are similar as far as what you did.

t=thickness
theta=angle at which it is inclined
L=width of beam

[itex]I_{yy} = \int y^{2}\frac{t}{sin(\theta)}dy = y^{3}\frac{t}{3sin(\theta)}[/itex]
[itex]y_{max} = Lsin(\theta)/2[/itex]

I was very careful deriving this, so I hope this helps a little bit as far as checking to see if you got the same answer. I'm not sure how to do the second part. I'm not sure how to resolve bending moments into parallel and perpendicular components. As it turns out, the x direction moment area is also [itex]I_{xx} = \int x^{2}\frac{t}{sin(\theta)}dx = x^{3}\frac{t}{3sin(\theta)}[/itex], so at least that part is easy enough... However, note, you have to use [itex]x_{max}[/itex] for the x direction component, and that will come out to be
[itex]x_{max} = Lcos(\theta)/2[/itex]

Again, can't really help on separating the components, never had to do that before...

DISCLAIMER: Something doesn't quite seem right about this solution, though I've carefully checked it several times. If you see anything that looks wrong to you let me know and I'll look at it again.

Last edited:
Oh, hey, I have to add a correction. I did not use the centroid as the origin, but the corner (which is wrong). You can adjust for that by using the parallel axis theorem (subtracting A*∆x^2 or A*∆y^2 for Ixx or Iyy respectively, where the centroid is (∆x,∆y) ).

1. What is beam bending of an angled flat plate?

Beam bending of an angled flat plate refers to the deformation or deflection of a flat plate when it is subjected to a load or force. This can occur when a flat plate is supported on one or more edges and a load is applied perpendicular to the plate's surface.

2. How does the angle of the plate affect the beam bending?

The angle of the plate can significantly impact the beam bending. A plate with a larger angle will experience more bending compared to a plate with a smaller angle. This is because the larger the angle, the more the plate will act like a lever, amplifying the bending moment.

3. What factors influence the beam bending of an angled flat plate?

Several factors can influence the beam bending of an angled flat plate, including the material properties of the plate, the thickness of the plate, the applied load, and the boundary conditions (i.e., how the plate is supported). Additionally, the angle of the plate and the location of the load along the plate can also affect the beam bending.

4. How is beam bending of an angled flat plate calculated?

Beam bending of an angled flat plate can be calculated using mathematical equations and principles of mechanics. The specific calculations will depend on the plate's dimensions, material properties, load, and boundary conditions. Finite element analysis can also be used to simulate and predict the beam bending behavior of a plate.

5. What are some applications of beam bending of an angled flat plate?

Beam bending of an angled flat plate has various applications, including in construction and engineering projects, such as bridges, buildings, and aircraft structures. It is also essential in the design and analysis of mechanical and structural components, such as beams, columns, and plates. Understanding the behavior of beam bending is crucial for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of these structures.