Beam deflection (area moments)

In summary, the conversation is discussing the use of area moments to calculate the mid span deflection of a simply supported beam under the given loadings. The question is asking for clarification on the steps and calculations needed for this method, specifically regarding the stiffness of the beam and the designation of the UB (universal beam). Further explanation and clarification is needed on the concept of flexural rigidity and drawing the bending moment diagram.
thebest99
just started looking at area moments.

question i am stuck on is below.

use the area-moments to calculate the mid span deflection produced by the given loadings, showing clearly all steps in the method and calculation:

support condition: simply supported
span: 7.20m
section: 406x140x39 kg/m UB
material: mild steel
loading: 24 kN/m UDL

believe i have to find delflection for the beam first, then i can calc the mid span deflection. WL cubed/ E I

so first need to find the stifness of the beam , can look on net to get a figure for mild steel.
i have found one at 210kN/mm squared.

so would i have 24kN x 7.20m / 210 x 406x140x39 kg/m UB

im just confused on putting all the figures togther.

if somone could help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is also confusing us. In particular I am confused by your statement "believe i have to find delflection for the beam first, then i can calc the mid span deflection. WL cubed/ E I". What is the difference between those two steps?

I think the value you found on the net of 210 is probably the value of Young's modulus E. If you can also find the value of I, the second moment of area (sometimes mistakenly identified as 'moment of inertia'), and you multiply that value by E, then you will have obtained a value for EI, which some people call the 'flexural rigidity'. You will need this value of EI when you use the area moment method. You have to be careful of units, because the value of I in tables is often in cm^4.

I'm looking at your statement "so would i have 24kN x 7.20m / 210 x 406x140x39 kg/m UB" and am wondering if you understand the designation of a UB such as "406x140x39 kg/m UB"? Do you know what those numbers mean?
More generally, to use the moment area method, you need to be able to draw the bending moment diagram for the case you are considering. Can you do that? I will stop there awaiting a response, because the apparent gaps in your understanding can't be dealt with all in one response.

1. What is beam deflection?

Beam deflection is the amount of bending or sagging that occurs in a beam when a load is applied to it. It is measured as the vertical displacement of a point on the beam from its original position.

2. What is the equation for calculating beam deflection?

The equation for calculating beam deflection is: D = (5WL^4)/(384EI), where D is the deflection, W is the load applied, L is the length of the beam, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the area moment of inertia.

3. What is area moment of inertia?

Area moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to bending. It is calculated by taking the sum of the products of each infinitesimal area element and the square of its distance from a specified axis.

4. How does beam material affect deflection?

The material of the beam plays a significant role in determining its deflection. Materials with higher values of modulus of elasticity, such as steel, will have less deflection compared to materials with lower values, such as wood.

5. What are some factors that affect beam deflection?

Some factors that can affect beam deflection include the material and size of the beam, the type and magnitude of the load applied, the support conditions, and any external factors such as temperature or humidity.