Calculating Angular Deflection in a Welded Steel Bracket

In summary, the figure shows a welded steel bracket loaded by a force F = 5 kN. The Attempt at a Solution calculated that the total deflection was 2050 NM due to the bending of the beam and the deformation of the bracket. The PhanthomJay Merry christmas to you also. Thanks for your link.
hatchelhoff

Homework Statement

The Figure shows a welded steel bracket loaded by a force F = 5 kN.
Beam_problem.PNG

Homework Equations

Beam_Deflection.PNG

BRACKET_Deflection.PNG
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the total deflection is the deflection of the beam due to F. And I also need to take into account the angular deflection at the joint between the beam and the bracket.

Im not sure how to find the angular deflection at the joint between the beam and the bracket.[/B]

Attachments

• Beam_problem.PNG
    Beam_problem.PNG
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,411
  • Beam_Deflection.PNG
    Beam_Deflection.PNG
    3.9 KB · Views: 1,193
  • BRACKET_Deflection.PNG
    BRACKET_Deflection.PNG
    5 KB · Views: 1,077
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to apply the macroscopic conditions, to determine MB and Rx as a function of F and the geometry.

hatchelhoff said:
Im not sure how to find the angular deflection at the joint between the beam and the bracket.
since you are apparently allowed to use tables, look it up in a table that gives the rotation angle at the midpoint of the end plate, using the moment at the end of the cantilever as the applied couple at that point. Otherwise , use the calculus of beam theory.

Chestermiller said:
You need to apply the macroscopic conditions, to determine MB and Rx as a function of F and the geometry.

MB = F*Distance = 5KN*410 mm = 2050 NM
R1 = R2 = MB/L = 2050NM/0.41M = 5000 N

Im not sure how to use these values to find the angular deflection.

PhanthomJay said:
since you are apparently allowed to use tables, look it up in a table that gives the rotation angle at the midpoint of the end plate, using the moment at the end of the cantilever as the applied couple at that point. Otherwise , use the calculus of beam theory.
I can't seem to find any such table. Can you point me int the right direction.

What do you mean by angular deflection? The rotation in Radians ?
I'm not too sure why you would need this value to compute the maximum deflection of the cantilever beam.

Can you please elaborate.

hatchelhoff said:
MB = F*Distance = 5KN*410 mm = 2050 NM
R1 = R2 = MB/L = 2050NM/0.41M = 5000 N

Im not sure how to use these values to find the angular deflection.
So you have MB. From the solution to the second problem, you can get the initial slope. You multiply that by the length of the beam to get the additional dip at the far end.

Ask and it shall be given unto thee, seek and ye shall find. Merry Christmas.

http://virtual.cvut.cz/beams/
Table 2 fig 8. Then follow Mr. Miller's last post.

Last edited:
CivilSigma I do mean the rotation in radans. In need this because the force F causes a deflection in the beam, but it also causes a deformation of the upright bracket which causes an additional dip at the far end.

PhanthomJay Merry christmas to you also. Thanks for your link.

Chestermiller I made an error in my previous post . I should have said that R1 = R2 = MB/L = 2050NM/0.3M = 6833.3 N
I have now calculated the slope at the pivot point to be 0.00669 radans

I have found the deflection of the beam due to bending to be 2.66 mm.
I have found the deflection of the beam due to the deformation of the bracket to be 2.74 mm.
this gives me a total deflection of 5.4 mm

hatchelhoff said:
I have found the deflection of the beam due to bending to be 2.66 mm.
I have found the deflection of the beam due to the deformation of the bracket to be 2.74 mm.
this gives me a total deflection of 5.4 mm
I don't want to have to go through this entire problem and do the detailed calculations. My goal was just to point out the general concept of how to approach this problem. I assume you understood the concept. The rest was up to you. If you have questions about the general concept, I will be glad to address them.

Likes CivilSigma
Thanks I understood the concept, and I have no questions.

What is a cantilever beam?

A cantilever beam is a type of structural element that is supported at only one end, with the other end projecting outward. It is commonly used in architecture and engineering to create overhangs or to support structures such as bridges and balconies.

How does a cantilever beam deflect?

Cantilever beams deflect when an external load or force is applied to the unsupported end, causing it to bend or sag. This is due to the distribution of stress and strain along the length of the beam, with the highest amount of deflection occurring at the free end.

What factors affect the deflection of a cantilever beam?

The deflection of a cantilever beam is affected by several factors, including the length of the beam, the type and magnitude of the applied load, the material properties of the beam, and the support conditions at the fixed end.

How is the deflection of a cantilever beam calculated?

The deflection of a cantilever beam is typically calculated using beam deflection equations, such as the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory or the Timoshenko beam theory. These equations take into account the various factors that affect deflection and provide a solution for the amount of deflection at a given point along the beam.

What are some practical applications of cantilever beams?

Cantilever beams have a wide range of practical applications in various fields, such as civil engineering, architecture, and product design. Some examples include bridges, balconies, diving boards, roof overhangs, and shelves.