Beauty of old electrical and measuring things, etc.
- Thread starter dlgoff
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Beauty Electrical Measuring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
706 replies · 138K views
Engineering news on Phys.org
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Nice. You have both lengths; same for me. I see yours are "Post" whereas mine are "K+E". Here a picture I posted back in 2014 in the My Old Computer Collection thread.jedishrfu said:Some old timey pictures of my sliderules of yore per an earlier request. The straight ones are decitrigs and the circular one is well circular with basic scales for multiplying and simple trig.
One cool feature of the circular one is a math and science pullout complete with a detailed periodic table written in super tiny writing. You can still get these on eBay or from Concise in Japan.
Physics majors preferred the small pocket size for stealth while engineers and high schoolers preferred the 12” variety as weapons of math instruction.
View attachment 233195
View attachment 233196
View attachment 233197
View attachment 233198
Attachments
Mentor
- 15,819
- 10,709
dlgoff said:Nice. You have both lengths; same for me. I see yours are "Post" whereas mine are "K+E". Here a picture I posted back in 2014 in the My Old Computer Collection thread.
View attachment 233335
Yes, I remember seeing them and wanted to post my meager collection. One item I didn’t post is my old Brother adding machine. I got it new and used it extensively in college physics where I’d convert measurements to logs and add them up to get more precise answers in the age just before the dawning of the hp and TI SR-50 hand held scientific calculators. Oh yeah I still have those too but the hp is a retro anniversary edition. The TI is original.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
dlgoff said:I found this Western Electric telephone set ...
I thought I might ought to explain how I've learned to bring back some beauty to Bakelite. The phone's hand-set shell is made entirely of Bakelite. The screw-on ear and mouth pieces were in really bad shape; showing raised surface blemishes. And where one grips the hand-set showed a little wear. I'm thinking the perspiration may be to blame. Anyway here's what the ear and mouth pieces looked like. Note the white spots which I believe are the fillers used to soak up the Phenol formaldehyde resin during manufacturing.dlgoff said:I'll post some photos when its "restored" and wall-mounted.
First I did a light rubbing of the bad areas with 0000 steal wool followed by a coating of an automobile vinyl protector (a very thin oil).
After about 30 minutes, all the oil was absorbed into the Bakelite. Then I coated it with a black shoe polish paste and another coating of the oil.
The oil absorbs some of the black dye from the shoe polish and the Bakelite absorbs that after about another 30 minutes.
I repeated this step twice followed by hand polishing (removing excess oil and polish) with a soft cotton fabric. For the hand-set grip, only a VERY light steel wool rub on the ware area, oiled, then cotton fabric polished. Here are the results.
Now back to work so I can finish this project. Completed and mounted photos to follow.
Attachments
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 9,747
- 11,967
can always have a redo in the future if you feel inclined ... at least it is currently protected from further corrosion/other damagedlgoff said:Thanks Dave. I think I could have done a little better though.
Recent years I have just been busy with an electronics production line that I do from home supplying several customers.Dave
Charlie Cheap
- 76
- 16
Okay Don, you are the guy with all that old neat stuff from my youth. At 75 I remember most of what you have, and I have one question...does any of it "Meet Code"? Just kidding. In the 1950's my buddy and I made crystal radio sets and ran AC to his barn where we "tinkered" with radio stuff we got from Mr. Weaver, the local TV repairman. Between him and the Army/Navy surplus store, we had a dream shop in my buddy Wayne's backyard, where I am sure we created havoc with neighbors radios and TV's. Antenna wires all over the house and barn, lights that lit the neighborhood, speakers, headphones and mikes everywhere...until the city told Wayne's Mom, NONE of it met Code. All gone in one day. WOW, does this jog an old man's memory!
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
You're my kind of man Charlie. I wish you could have kept all of your goodies.Charlie Cheap said:Okay Don, you are the guy with all that old neat stuff from my youth. At 75 I remember most of what you have, and I have one question...does any of it "Meet Code"? Just kidding. In the 1950's my buddy and I made crystal radio sets and ran AC to his barn where we "tinkered" with radio stuff we got from Mr. Weaver, the local TV repairman. Between him and the Army/Navy surplus store, we had a dream shop in my buddy Wayne's backyard, where I am sure we created havoc with neighbors radios and TV's. Antenna wires all over the house and barn, lights that lit the neighborhood, speakers, headphones and mikes everywhere...until the city told Wayne's Mom, NONE of it met Code. All gone in one day. WOW, does this jog an old man's memory!
And like you, I'm sure I put some noise on my neighbors TV's horizontal oscillators.

Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
kiki_danc
- 352
- 9
Hi, most isolated transformers being sold now use the shell type design due to more efficiency.. but I want to take hold of one using core design (at least 500VA) for collection (not to use it).. do you know where I can still buy core designed isolation transformer (I don't want to build it as I don't have the time to do it and not hobby to build things)?
Attachments
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
I don't know but I'll keep an eye opened for you. If you do happen to find one, please post a picture.kiki_danc said:... do you know where I can still buy core designed isolation transformer (I don't want to build it as I don't have the time to do it and not hobby to build things)?

Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Here's a good example of this. I picked up these reference tubes from ebay.dlgoff said:Beauty of hardware doesn't just come from it's appearance but also it's functionality.
Now I can trust my Hastings VT-5AB vacuum gauge numbers.
Attachments
kiki_danc
- 352
- 9
dlgoff said:I don't know but I'll keep an eye opened for you. If you do happen to find one, please post a picture.![]()
I bought a 500VA Isolation Transformer for research and study (in my country, all transformers are autotransfomers being only 1/5 the cost of the IT) but found out it was shell type which is more efficient. But I want a core type for collection.
Attachments
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
- 9,864
- 4,896
this guy has a warehouse of surplus electrical stuff ,
http://www.integratedresources.net/
as does this guy
https://denverbreaker.com/
there are plenty of other such places try google
just I've been in both of those treasure troves myself
experimenter's paradise, both of them
good luck
http://www.integratedresources.net/
as does this guy
https://denverbreaker.com/
there are plenty of other such places try google
just I've been in both of those treasure troves myself
experimenter's paradise, both of them
good luck
Charlie Cheap
- 76
- 16
Don, as you can see by my 65 Mustang I am an old car guy. One thing you may not know is, if you have old hard rubber items, say headphone covers, wipe them generously with lacquer thinner to soften them. It works great on old rubber car parts, like window seals that are no longer available. Afterwards, Armorall helps keep them soft. Phosphoric acid works great on old rusty metal...but don't drop an old Rare 40 Ford rearview mirror in it overnight...next morning glass is all that is left.
Charlie Cheap
- 76
- 16
Don, I forgot...Pot metal is not safe around phosphoric acid...which I learned the hard way.
Charlie Cheap
- 76
- 16
"Powdered and rouged"...todays youngsters have no idea what you are talking about. At 75 I do! Somewhere I may still have a "belly-button Brownie"...remember those? Back in the early 50's my Dad and I were on a trip where he returned from the bathroom laughing so hard he was choking on his tobacco chew. I asked what was so funny, and he told me someone had taken the Kodak counter ad-sign that said "Film for your Brownie"...and placed over the toilet paper roll. We both laughed for a 100 miles.Bystander said:Be a day or two to get them all powdered and rouged for the camera.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Charlie Cheap said:Don, as you can see by my 65 Mustang I am an old car guy. One thing you may not know is, if you have old hard rubber items, say headphone covers, wipe them generously with lacquer thinner to soften them. It works great on old rubber car parts, like window seals that are no longer available. Afterwards, Armorall helps keep them soft. Phosphoric acid works great on old rusty metal...but don't drop an old Rare 40 Ford rearview mirror in it overnight...next morning glass is all that is left.
Thanks Charlie. I'll certainly keep these in mind.Charlie Cheap said:Don, I forgot...Pot metal is not safe around phosphoric acid...which I learned the hard way.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 9,747
- 11,967
Don, I don't know where you live, but if it is anywhere near Detroit, this may interest you ...
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/63022552
a bunch of older Motorola test gear for saleDave
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/63022552
a bunch of older Motorola test gear for saleDave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Wow Dave. That's some good looking test equipment. Thanks for thinking of me. Unfortunately I live west of Kansas City, so it would be a fairly long drive for this old man.davenn said:Don, I don't know where you live, but if it is anywhere near Detroit, this may interest you ...
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/63022552
a bunch of older Motorola test gear for saleDave
That and it's really cold this winter.

Attachments
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 9,747
- 11,967
you're welcomedlgoff said:Thanks for thinking of me.
dlgoff said:That and it's really cold this winter.
one of the hottest summers on record for parts of Australia It's been dreadful
So many days over 40C (104F) so far. the hottest in my area has been 43C
the record is 52C (125F) in northern South Australia State ... just crazy
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
I was given a https://www.radiolaguy.com/Showcase/TestEquipment/B&K_550.htm panel that was covered with dryed mud. After lots of cleaning I built a wooden box frame for mounting the tube tester on. Here are a couple pictures of this old beauty from around 1959.
The thing works very well so I'll be putting it to good use.
The thing works very well so I'll be putting it to good use.
- 3,777
- 2,002
I remember when tube testers could be found all over the place, even in grocery stores.
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 4,458
- 3,266
Yes. The one I have looks like it may have been in a store.Janus said:I remember when tube testers could be found all over the place, even in grocery stores.
My first use of a tube tester was in my little town's Standard Oil gas station.
image compliments of https://www.dividend.com/how-to-invest/the-complete-visual-history-of-standard-oil/
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 2,408
- 5,259
I think that I have the same oscilloscope that's in the background.dlgoff said:I was given a https://www.radiolaguy.com/Showcase/TestEquipment/B&K_550.htm panel that was covered with dryed mud. After lots of cleaning I built a wooden box frame for mounting the tube tester on. Here are a couple pictures of this old beauty from around 1959.
View attachment 241927
View attachment 241928
The thing works very well so I'll be putting it to good use.

