Beauty of old electrical and measuring things, etc.

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
  • Featured
I consider first hand information like this to be like peer review information. I'm going to change it to the 5U4. Thank you. :)

Here's a future beauty I'll be working on but it's what's on top that's very special to me.

View attachment 175212
View attachment 175213
View attachment 175214

It was a gift from a good friend and I used it to look up the base diagrams for the tubes in order to verify they were indeed interchangeable. ;)
When I was 13 y.o. a neighbor gave me a copy of that book. I devoured it. I built a one tube (6J6 I believe) 10 watt 40m cw transmitter from its pages. It started a fire in my belly to learn electronics and mathematics not to mention the indescribable thrill of transmitting "cq cq cq de wb6pnm" and getting a response from a station over 1000 miles away with equipment I had built with my own hands. I wanted to know how my antenna radiated radio waves and I wanted to know how the ionosphere worked. I had thousands of questions. My father (a physicist) said; "You will only get the answers if you go to university and learn experimental physics". So I did. Sadly, young people today do not have this experience.
Thank you so much for posting these photographs. I was flooded with happy memories.

Peace
Fred

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sadly, young people today do not have this experience.
Thank you so much for posting these photographs. I was flooded with happy memories.
I'm so happy that you see the value of this thread and that it has brought you happiness too. Thank You.

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
I have several rather old microscopes, two of them shown in the photo:
IMG_7152.JPG

And then I got this multimeter from a friend who was having a garage sale and was selling it for $1. He wanted to just give it to me when I told him that I wanted it, but I forced him to take the $1. :)

IMG_7151.JPG

The wooden case by itself is fascinating. And yes, it still works.

Zz.

Attachments

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'm just now getting around to restoring this Universal Radio.
Universal Radio.jpg

I doubt that it's power plug would get a Underwriters Laboratories endorsement.
Univeral Plug.jpg

What I really find interesting is it's name plate; ... ONLY FOR RADIO AMATEUR, EXPERIMENTAL AND BROADCAST RECEPTION.
Universal Plate.jpg

Attachments

Hence the name, knob and tube wiring. I haven't acquired any tubes however.
You mean these things in my "ceiling"? They are still where they were installed although I have no clue how many decades since they were used. It was a bar in the 1930's.
WP_20180406_18_03_48_Pro.jpg
WP_20180406_18_04_30_Pro.jpg

Attachments

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Dearly Missed

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member

Attachments

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member

Attachments

Last edited:

jim hardy

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Dearly Missed
Ahhh Octals ? :Local junkshop had a bushel of #30's. I'll see what else is there next week. old jim.

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ahhh Octals ? :Local junkshop had a bushel of #30's. I'll see what else is there next week. old jim.
Thanks Jim. I'll post a list of these tubes here. The last time (many years now) I powered it up, it received just fine.
Ahhh Octals ?
The 6U5,6G5 has 6 pins.

Last edited:
Great collection!

No slide rule or adding machine to top it off?

No TKD breakage either! Kids are kids.

Nice collection. I have a couple of decitrig loglog bamboo slide rules and a pocket circular Concise slide rule with an embedded periodic table and other scientific constants insert. I also have an addiator, a handheld mechanical adder/subtractor that fascinated me as a kid.

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Nice collection. I have a couple of decitrig loglog bamboo slide rules and a pocket circular Concise slide rule with an embedded periodic table and other scientific constants insert. I also have an addiator, a handheld mechanical adder/subtractor that fascinated me as a kid.
Photos?

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
What tubes does it use ?
I'll see what else is there next week.
Here's a list. Any or all would be welcomed. Thanks Jim.

Metal Shelled Tubes
6F6 - was probably a metal shelled tube originally.
6A8
6F5
6G6
6K7
5Z4

That's awesome! You're probably a lot older than me, but I love that old aesthetic too :)

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I finally got around to cleaning up the antenna for the Narco Superhomer VHT-3 navigation receiver. Here's how it looked initially:

narco_2-jpg.jpg

Here it is with new paint:

narco_1.jpg

I mounted it on a box so it could be mounted in place of the one I built. And like the old one, it has the Physics Forums logo that hopefully @Greg Bernhardt will like.

narco_2.jpg

I mounted the antenna and just finished testing it with the Superhomer receiver. All functions tested okay. It's dark out now so I'll add a mounted picture later.

Attachments

How does it work navigation wise? Were there fixed transmitting stations and triangulation methods to determine your location? Or was that done by receiver magic?

Janus

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I could send you one of these. :biggrin:

View attachment 170323
I used to have a camera like the one on the left. It had been my parent's. I even used it when I was first into photography back in the late '70s. The negatives were large enough that you could produce a good print just using the contact method, and without needing a enlarger. I do still have my folk's Bell & Howell movie camera from the late '50s, still in working condition.

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I used to have a camera like the one on the left. It had been my parent's.
It was my parent's camera as well. I have a lot of the pictures they took with it.

dlgoff

Science Advisor
Gold Member
How does it work navigation wise? Were there fixed transmitting stations and triangulation methods to determine your location? Or was that done by receiver magic?
Navigation is done by the VHF omni directional radio range (VOR) technique. From the Wikipedia page:

A VOR ground station sends out an omnidirectional master signal, and a highly directional second signal is propagated by a phased antenna array and rotates clockwise in space 30 times a second. This signal is timed so that its phase (compared to the master) varies as the secondary signal rotates, and this phase difference is the same as the angular direction of the 'spinning' signal, (so that when the signal is being sent 90 degrees clockwise from north, the signal is 90 degrees out of phase with the master). By comparing the phase of the secondary signal with the master, the angle (bearing) to the aircraft from the station can be determined. ...

Janus

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
The basic system has been explained. For the pilot, It is used this way: you tune your VOR receiver to the station you are using to navigate by. Then you adjust your VOR to the heading you want with respect to the station. A indicator will tell you whether you are flying to or away from the station (it also informs you if you are within range for the signal). A needle will deflect either right or left, which tells you what direction you need to fly to get on the wanted heading with respect to the station. You then just "Fly the needle"(Keep the needle centered ) to fly to or from the VOR station.